New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: A request - sorry, contains spoiler for Doctor Who
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.pool.einsundeins.de)
Date: July 05, 2008 08:08PM

Thanks - I can breathe again - and enjoy your meal!

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.sns.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: July 05, 2008 08:35PM

One of the strengths of the rejuvenated (regenerated?) series is the uncanny way in which it returns to the old 'Incredible Hulk' tv series. Each time the Doctor ends up alone in his TARDIS once again I can almost hear 'The Lonely Man' running over it all. I'd prefer to see some other Time Lords running around though!

With that said, I thought it was pretty good! The ending's far too neat but why nitpick?

Bernard Cribbins was brilliant, as usual. It's hard to believe he's never been honoured in any way! Is that truly correct?

End of rant. I hope people enjoyed it!

Egon.

Posted by: Cordwangler (---.vo.lu)
Date: July 05, 2008 09:56PM

Dear oh dear, Memory Charms and all. Is this Dr Who or Harry Potter?

And the "mortal loves an immortal" story line is straight out of Tolkien (OK, and out of any number of Greek myths too...) but I am sure there should be Jurisfiction Rules against a character duplicating himself to get out of that paradox. "So one of Arwen married Aragorn, and the other sailed away to the Undying Lands, and she both lived happily ever after." Hmm...

I can't see Bernard Cribbins as Sir Bernard somehow. And an OBE at his age would be too little too late.

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: July 05, 2008 10:45PM

Well, uber-long update (containing most of the plot and a little bit of personally feeling about it) is now up at the end of the previous page - just a heads-up for those who're just looking at this page now!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.pool.einsundeins.de)
Date: July 05, 2008 11:55PM

Thank you so much for the update! I'm satisfyingly confused now :-). Don't mind about nobody dying, I'm still recovering from all the character deaths in everything Joss Whedon got his hands on.
Shame that the Doctor didn't become ginger, though.

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 06, 2008 10:16AM

(although I'm still not certain how Captain Jack knew Jackie Tyler/Mickey...)

Captain Jack met Micky in Cardiff with Margaret the Slatheen. And at least must of seen Jackie when he went back to watch Rose grow up on the Powell Estate when he was waiting for time to catch him up again after space hoppering back to 1800's after being brought back to life by Rose on the Game Station, assuming he got time off from Torchwood 3 in Cardiff(end of series 3).

Oh yes and Sarah Jane got her Sonic Lippy out, which I think was Duex Ex 7 because the alternate world teleporters recharge just in time to save Jackie from being atomized by the Reality Bomb.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2008 10:20AM by 198505.

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: July 07, 2008 12:52AM

I wasn't far wrong about it all turning out to be a dream, aka Dallas. Sorry, but the entire plot of tonight's finale reads like a particularly poor soap episode on screen. That being said, the twirling Daleks were fun to watch. Apparently, the Georgia state dancers have incorporated it into their routine already.

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 07, 2008 01:10AM

Isn't that where the Darleks came from? Besides the pepper pot part

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: July 07, 2008 09:47AM

Not only the Daleks, but Doctor McCoy's medical scanners too! Condiment dispensers have had an incredible influence on popular culture. Who would have thought it?

Incidentally, I haven't been able to come up with a good reason for them NOT to kill off Donna, so maybe they haven't finished with her completely yet. After all, Rose was supposed to be gone forever the first time...

In any case, I'm bored now, so does anyone have any pie?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2008 01:08PM by EgonSpengler.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.