New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Incompetent berk alert
Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 12:40PM

This arrived in the post today. It wasn't for me, but I had to open it - no, really! - as it was for the previous owner and there was no return address on the outside of the envelope. Names changed to protect identities as per use.

'Dear Miss Knottwurst, thank you for informing us of your change of address. Our records have been updated and you need take no further action.'

Aaaand ... guess where Halifax had sent it to?
Note to all out there: if you bank with these people, be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2008 12:42PM by Jazz_Sue.

Re: Incompetent berk alert
Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: July 11, 2008 05:00AM

Reminds me of school days when an announcement was made over the PA system and concluded with: "If this message was not heard in your classroom please advise the Principal's office immediately'.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: July 11, 2008 01:45PM

We continue to get the odd letter addressed to the previous inhabitants even now. And they moved more than 21 years ago.

Posted by: mr puniverse (---.meb2.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: July 11, 2008 03:14PM

I like the fact that places send you forms to fill out. The first queestion they ask is your name and address...didnt they send me the form in the first place.

I get letters for people address to my place i have never heard of the names are always different I have been at this place for 7 years I wonder who these people are but if they want to collect it i can send it on

A Kit Kat is a Biscuit

Posted by: annie (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 12, 2008 06:48AM

The daughter of the previous owner of my house (8 years ago) is still receiving 2 letters a month from the Sheriff's Office at my address. It is early July, so I have received and returned 12 letters so far this year.
I am becoming very creative with my return to sender comments. Thick black or red texta, with all my comments highlighed in a different colour. The letters come in pairs, so I do this to both letters and staple them back to back.

I am waiting for the day the sheriff bangs on my front door with his truncheon (politely rings the door bell) and asks for this girl. I can, in all honesty state that I have absolutely no idea where she is.

Of course, this is the family that left their cat behind when they moved out because they couldn't be bothered taking him with them...

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: July 12, 2008 11:06AM

I accidentally opened a thank you note that was addressed to 'Family' - it was from a cousin I haven't seen in years. I finally figured out that ma had sent her some congrats-on-your-graduation ducats and am stuck wondering how much that check was for...

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: July 15, 2008 12:39PM

When we bought a house many tyears ago we kept getting letters fro a previous owner. The letters came from a company who's director has recently been forced to give up his football club directorship. the letters were returned marked: 'No longer at this addreess'.

These letters came for years until I marked in big red texta : Return this to the Pratts who sent it. This person has been gone for years.

No more letters. I never invested in that company after that experience.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.