New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
WALL-E (possible spoilers)
Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: July 21, 2008 01:58PM

Well, I went, I saw, and I thought WALL-E was brilliant! The bonus animation 'Presto' was good too, and hilarious! If anyone else has comments to make then this is the place!

Egon.

Re: WALL-E (possible spoilers)
Posted by: Lymond (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 21, 2008 02:16PM

I haven't actually seen it but unfortunately friends of mine have said that dire doesn't really cover it. Relegated to the dvd selection I'm afraid.

Date: July 21, 2008 02:35PM

Hmmm. Fascinating.

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: July 21, 2008 03:35PM

Well, my eldest works at our local theatre, so got to see the pre-release plus multiple viewings thereafter. Suffice to say, she still finds bits to laugh over. She's a goth, so isn't easily amused.

BTW, anyone seen Mystery Men? It was on TV again yesterday afternoon and, even though I can practically recite the script backwards, I still think it's brilliant. Not quite as good as Galaxy quest, but almost.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 21, 2008 04:56PM

I saw WALL-E on Saturday and I have mixed feelings. Presto was utterly brilliant (though perhaps someone's been playing too much Portal?), but I was a bit disappointed with some of the implausible aspects of WALL-E. The robots-with-emotions thing I'm fine with (yay, suspension of disbelief) but the physics in the outer space portions were really terrible and I'm surprised that Pixar didn't think more carefully about that, given their usual record for attention to detail. Also, the whole plan by the humans for living in space, when they would come back to Earth, etc., was highly implausible and made it hard for me to appreciate the plot.

On the other hand, the animation, especially in the Earth scenes, was utterly, utterly beautiful.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.sns.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: July 21, 2008 05:05PM

Interesting points, Susan. I'll yield to you in regard to the physics, which was waylaid on the road to entertainment. I thought the animation was beautiful too, but I was annoyed by the live-action portions. I didn't think there was any point to doing that at all. Still it was a beautiful film, and Presto was hilarious. Presto got a wonderful reception in the cinema.

PS The cinema goofed and started playing 'Hancock' to begin with, but we took none of that! Then they made us watch a second load of trailers. People were not pleased...

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.40.18.82.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: July 22, 2008 09:17AM

We saw it on Sunday and were blown away by it and "Presto". However, I suspect that those people who didn't like "Cars" won't like this one.

Which bits of the physics in space did you not like, MS?

P.S. Liked the reference to 2001

edited bit: We came straight out of watching "the Forbidden Kingdom", so after all that fantasy Chop-Schlocky wire-work, perhaps our tolerence for the unreal was already in overdrive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2008 09:20AM by SkidMarks.

Date: July 22, 2008 10:56AM

I never saw 'Cars' as I read it was weaker than the other Pixars, Skids, what did you think of it?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.40.168.63.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: July 22, 2008 01:18PM

I loved it, but as you may guess from my alias, I am a petrol head. (Sorry BK, if you thought that I was an underwear fetishist).

A little knowledge of Nascar racing and Americana helps, but mrs. SkidMarks also enjoyed watching it and she is less interested in all things automotive. Like most Pixar films a lot of the delight is in the minutae. Look out for the bugs - little flying VW Beetles - for an example.

Even at their weakest, (For me probably "A Bug's Life") Pixar at better than most.

Date: July 22, 2008 01:27PM

PIXAR are the best! I shudder at the pressure I know I would feel at the thought of all those classics to live up to.

Bizarrely the shorts are the things that impress the most, perhaps because they're far more the work of one person. 'Boundin' and 'Presto' spring to mind.

<Desperately fights urge to sing the praises of Ratzenberger>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2008 01:33PM by EgonSpengler.

Date: July 22, 2008 05:13PM

Oh, Boundin' was probably my favorite! Of the films, I have to say I liked The Incredibles and Ratatouille best. Perhaps it's the fact that they were both directed by Brad Bird, who is excellent.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.sns.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: July 22, 2008 07:33PM

<Ponders how to agree with MuseSusan AGAIN without being a crawler>

Date: July 22, 2008 11:19PM

It's okay to agree with me again, since I'm always right!

(I just know I'm going to regret saying that. :-) )

Date: July 23, 2008 08:51AM

Boundin' was the first Pixar animation I saw in the cinema so I love it unconditionally, even the snake.

Shameless, MuseSusan, shameless! Try to be less agreeable for goodness sake!

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: July 23, 2008 10:57AM

You know Skids, I never even wondered why you called yourself that! You spoiled it with the alternate version....

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: July 23, 2008 03:14PM

ditto. On the plus side, it means I'm not as gutterbound as I thought...

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: July 23, 2008 05:19PM

You are now on the pavement my dear. :)

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Date: July 24, 2008 08:51AM

Where is there to go after the pavement?

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: July 24, 2008 10:40AM

Not sure where next, though I daresay it might be trespassing ^_^

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2008 10:41AM by BibwitHart.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: July 25, 2008 02:10AM

You've just spoiled the setup for the Oscar Wilde retort of being accused of being in the gutter.

To which he replied (all together now): "Sir, we are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.'

See, now, that didn't hurt, did it?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.