New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Knowledge of Cars
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.wbs.warwick.ac.uk)
Date: July 22, 2008 09:49AM

I would like to know how Jasper got his interest in cars. He obviously has a wide knowledge of makes which are unfamilliar to most people now but has also demonstrated a comprehensive understanding of what makes them go, and also what makes them go wrong as in the Pendine Sands Bluebird crash in Well of Lost Plots.

As a founder member of the Made in Coventry Motoring Association, we would indeed welcome Jasper as an honorary member.

Re: Knowledge of Cars
Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: July 22, 2008 10:16AM

I'd just like to make a small non-contribution to this thread: I have no knowledge of cars whatsoever.

^_^

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.40.168.63.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: July 22, 2008 10:23AM

Hi there Made in Coventry. Welcome. Help yourself to pie.

A small point, though. Wasn't it J.G. Parry-Thomas' Babs that crashed on Pendine Sands? i thought Malcolm Campbell's runs were succesful, but am willing to learn more!

P.S. The minced beef and onion pie is rather nice, as is the apple and cinnamon, if you want something sweeter.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: July 22, 2008 10:37AM

We have a special consignment of pasties too this week. The leek and banana is recommended.

Also, I too have no knowledge of cars whatsoever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2008 10:37AM by EgonSpengler.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: July 22, 2008 10:38AM

Is strangely tempted to make leek and banana pie....

Date: July 22, 2008 10:38AM

Hi Skidmarks,

The pie was super. Indeed it was Parry-Thomas who crashed Babs at Pendine and the car was buried where it lay until recently but he wasn't trying to out-do Mr Frog was he?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.40.168.63.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: July 22, 2008 01:10PM

there are some challenges that should be left to the experts

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.253-204-56.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: July 23, 2008 12:09PM

Was that a challenge for food professionals with the pasty, or some other sort of challenge. Leek and Banana there are possibilities there, not sure as what . . .

I work for a large automotive parts seller, and happily admit to no knowledge of things car related. I do enjoy Top Gear though!

Date: July 23, 2008 01:32PM

Is Top Gear car related now? When did it change format. I thought that was just a jolly good wheeze and a first class venue for putting right all of the wrongs done by the PC brigade.

Did you know that the classic car business is worth over £3 billion per year to the UK and employs over 26,000 people? Armed with this information you can never admit to having no knowledge of things car related ever again!

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: July 23, 2008 01:36PM

A classic car - that's anything you can't get parts for, but still too recent to be deemed vintage, isn't it? That's my Micra, that is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2008 01:37PM by Jazz_Sue.

Date: July 23, 2008 01:47PM

I keep two on the road, a 1959 Armstrong Siddeley and a 1947 Wolseley Police car. It is not difficult to get the parts, the research and finding solutions to problems is rewarding and you often make contact with very nice people. However, the classic car fraternity falls into two loose categories, those with cravats and those without, I consider myself to be part of the latter.

I bet that their is a Micra owners club.

Date: July 23, 2008 01:53PM

Pardon the typo there not their, you do not see them at once but they're there, their presence spoils the whole message.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: July 23, 2008 03:34PM

There is at least one in Australia.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: July 23, 2008 05:30PM

What? A typo? I think it quite possible....

Welcome by the way.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: July 25, 2008 02:29AM

<from Martin's post>

<I see Willie of Avon, pen in hand, reading the proofs of Macbeth>

<Ah, Is this a typo I see before me.....>

<exits page right to seek chocolate>

<finds none>

<looks suspiciously at chocolate point birman again now in throes of anorexia>

<goes out in to street on way to shop>

<gets run over>

<ah, cars. That's what they were talking about.>

<watches re runs of Top Gear while convalescing>

<thinks Clarkson plays the part of a pratt very well>

<wonders how bad Australian version of Top Gear will be?>

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: July 25, 2008 11:34AM

I can't see the "Australian" car companies allowing anyone to go hooning around in their prized possessions, and risk a crap review!

Useless car fact there are now more proper minis registered on UK roads than when Rover stopped production in 1999.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: July 27, 2008 08:20AM

considers comment on Oz cars

reflects on experiences in britsh car industry

remembers of 16 cars owned 13 have reached 100,000 miles (160000km) without much trouble - another two became impacted upon scenery with resultant damage to bunyip, final one was stol;en and never recovered.

Remembers when working fo BL dealer in Fulam in 1980 hears old gent came in and tell staff his 1959 Rover 105 had reached 90,000 miles and hearing all the congrats of brits in office. Looked at kiwi boss lady and she shook head, commenting that 21 years to reach 90000 miles is what hearses do in antipodes.

Opines that while Oz cars may be larger and more expensive than overseas motor vehicles (and I would, never buy a Holden again after the sh*t treatment received from their dealers and 'customer service' people Commodores are good cars) I would rather travel in Falcon/Commodore than imported models for belting around Oz.

I'd like to see Clarkson in F6 Falcon Typhoon (or whatever its called these days)

Shall wait with modified interest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.