New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Gifts
Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: July 22, 2008 02:24PM

Wot ho! I've just bought a really nice old copy of 'The Name of the Rose' for a librarian friend's birthday but now really regret having to give it up. What's the best gift book you've bought and then really wanted to keep for yourself?

Egon.
(Cheesy question thread, I know. I'm sure someone will start talking about food or making fish puns soon enough.>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2008 03:46PM by EgonSpengler.

Re: Gifts
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.40.168.63.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: July 22, 2008 03:24PM

Cosmic Banditos by A.C. Weisbecker

Posted by: Lymond (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: July 22, 2008 11:26PM

Well I once bought a book on dyslexic Skiing (Slalom) for some old trout. It was a well decorated book with scalloped edges and a good catch I thought. Netted it at an auction in an odd place, a monastery I think. It was a huge book and took some muscles to lift it, but the one that got away.... Anyhow I cod go on but I might start to flounder and I think overly long posts are shellfish anyway.

Ps. Did I see a thread about walleye around here?

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 23, 2008 02:22AM

All those fish puns are giving me a haddock.

Date: July 23, 2008 08:50AM

As my old German teacher Herr Ring would have said: there's a plaice for these things, as long as they don't overrun your sole.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: July 23, 2008 09:58AM

I've always regretted never reading Wizard of the Pigeons before giving it as a present ( I though it wasn't polite...)

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: July 23, 2008 01:43PM

I did the obvious thing. Presented my husband with a string of books, one after the other, that he wasn't the least bit interested in but which a) proved I spent more on him than he did on me and b) that I wanted to read. Then I divorced him.
A result two times over!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: July 23, 2008 03:29PM

<takes notes>

Date: July 23, 2008 03:34PM

<keepa note of who's keeping note and admires newly won frisbee>

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: July 25, 2008 02:44AM

Jazz_Sue,

I'm glad you did the books/divorce thing in the right order.

It would be a big mistake to get the books then discover you had acquired a spouse because he liked to read them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.