New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
RIP AS
Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: August 05, 2008 05:10PM

... alias, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. Yes, that is the correct spelling. August 3rd he went, aged 89 and of heart failure but - that's TWO WHOLE DAYS AGO! So why no mentions here, then?

To be honest, I thought he was dead already; but I'm a literary moron and I know you lot can pronounce Quixote so it doesn't rhyme with 'Thursday' and - Wikepedia for the correct spelling apart - do you know where I gleaned this byte of information? A Blakes 7 fansite, that's where! Yes, they of the 'wobbly sets and even more dodgy fanfiction/acting' brigade can EVEN QUOTE EXCERPTS FROM 'CANCER WARD.'
Plus, the moderator's got a Philosophy degree. Probably.
So there.

Re: RIP AS
Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 03:20AM

Didn't he write 'Lolita"

<ducks behind Tolstoy>

<observes ducks doing unnatural acts>

<remembers ducks sequence sent from Norwegian cats website, but not generally available, so if anyone wants to see questionable mother duck activity from US send me email and I will get teenage daughter to show mne how to send it. It's too big to be posted>

<paddles off into rainset>

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.7.147.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: August 06, 2008 11:17AM

You are correct, of course, J_S. We should have posted. I only heard the news yesterday (BBC Radio 2).

I am afraid though that his books fall into the "I'm sure that they are very good but" category for me.

Now you have to explain what you were doing on a Blake's 7 site................

Date: August 06, 2008 02:15PM

I was looking for literature. No, really!
Confession time: One of the actors attracted a lot of baby boomers in his youth, and I was one of them. The attraction has really never gone away, even though he now advertises electric wheelchairs and does voiceover work for Jack FM.
And I'm about to have my own 'boomer bits' taken away cos I don't need them any more (sob.)

I'm sure this would have sounded a lot more tragic if old Alex had written about it. Still reads pretty sad though, don't you think?

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.129.---)
Date: August 06, 2008 03:05PM

Nothing wrong with a bit of Blake-7. It's purely recreational, and not at all habit forming.

<Breaks out in cold-sweat>

I'll be right back.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.as43234.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 03:17PM

I think that this thread should be turned over to the 'Blake's Seven' support group for their future self-improvement and recovery.

Date: August 06, 2008 03:25PM

There ARE some curious clumping effects. Check this post out:

[avonpds.myfreeforum.org]

It could almost have been one of ours! AND there's a long-running thread about sprouts. I can't believe I started this all off. Am now heading back to tell them the exciting news.
At last! They have readers again!!! Not? Oh well ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2008 03:26PM by Jazz_Sue.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.40.164.249.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: August 07, 2008 10:13AM

If you want sprouts there are none better than Robert Rankin's

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: August 07, 2008 02:50PM

lol, I have a sprout-lore posting account I've used about once. Lost net access, and just never got round to visiting again.
Seemed a good place for silliness too!

Date: August 09, 2008 11:25AM

SkidMarks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you want sprouts there are none better than
> Robert Rankin's

Agreed! Although it's nice to see the Main Denial is getting in on the act (and via Garfield, too - yet more clumping to this site!):
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.