New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best worst holiday story?
Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: August 06, 2008 02:44PM

We're slap bang in the middle of the annual vacation season (well, in the UK anyway - I know it's different for you lot in sweltering Ozland) so I just wondered - what's your worst holiday memory ever? The holidays of my childhood and teens were spent touring a succession of dubious B and B's in my Dad's old banger; he refused to drive on motorways and went everywhere at 20 mph on the back lanes - the 'scenic route' as he called it - plus, we kids suffered car sickness at 10 mile intervals and my Mum had irritable bladder syndrome, so you can imagine what THAT was like. We once spent a week travelling to Wales - by the time we got there, the landlady had let our rooms to another family! We used to look forward to the return home on the back of an AA truck though - well cool!

It's funny, but the hol that really sticks in my mind was one we took by train, to Blackpool. It was a late booking, so we got the only landlady with vacancies - we did wonder why. Clue: Breakfast buffets didn't exist then - certainly not in a Blackpool boarding house. It was bad enough watching your cornflakes being ever-so-tightly doled out when the last meal you'd eaten was at half five the previous afternoon (you got your soup in your lap if you were five minutes late); but this woman went one better even than that. She actually POURED THE CORNFLAKES INTO THE BOWLS THE NIGHT BEFORE before safely padlocking the packets back in their cupboard! Okay, so the milk came fresh, but by then they were soggy enough to eat dry anyway, so I reckon she did it to save on milk. God help you if you didn't eat them, though. And before you ask no, there WERE no other cereals on offer. Well, porridge possibly, but none of us had the courage to ask ...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2008 02:46PM by Jazz_Sue.

Re: Best worst holiday story?
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.129.---)
Date: August 06, 2008 03:11PM

Hmm... Going camping at Jan Juk (or whatever that hole was called) and my little brother getting attacked by jumping jacks and ending up looking like a puffy red golf-ball-stuffed-sausage.

And the owner of the caravan park refusing to sell us some stingos- and only lending us some after begging and tear. And the threat of sending my Dad down to ask.

Why does no-one take a twelve-year old seriously when there is something wrong?

Posted by: JungleKatt (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 11:09PM

One New Years Eve the cat thought it would be a good idea to bring a live gopher into the living room. The rest of the family did not agree with this however, and it took an hour of moving furniture and a lively game of gopher hockey to return the animal to the great outdoors.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: August 07, 2008 02:40PM

heehee, classic.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.vicdir.schools.net.au)
Date: August 08, 2008 12:48AM

The best and worst holiday story i had was when i went on camp with school, and i love camping right! aniiwaiiz we were hiking for 3 days and we were going for a bit of bush bashing, there were a couple of snakes and altough i was wearing gaters i was still majorly worried! i almost stepped on a snake and i had ants crawling inside my gaters and biting me!!
We made a scary movie and the guys got flash lights and made really funny faces that were sort of scary too!!!!!

to make it even better i had to go to the toilet and i had kookoburra's laughing at me!! all in all it was a great camping trip though and serves for some very funny memorys!!

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: August 09, 2008 02:32AM

Another landlady offered 'home cooked farm food.' This was a farm in Somerset that had long since sold off everything apart from the bit that was still making money, i.e the B and B part, although this one also offered evening meals at around 17.30. She had this idea that everything had to be coated in the same white, lumpy sauce, whether you wanted it or not. She must have had an enormous batch of this stuff, to which she then added flavouring to taste. The taste being bland, bordering on flavourless. Take, for example, her version of Duck a l'orange. The orange sauce glazing a nice breast of duckling should be smooth and glossy; its caramelised beauty capturing the translucency of pure amber, right? Wrong. Hers was white and lumpy, with little orange bits in. Nuff said.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.129.---)
Date: August 09, 2008 12:34PM

lol, if only John Cleese and Connie Booth had stayed there!

Posted by: annie (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 16, 2008 02:21PM

Purpose of holiday: time out after death of mother from cancer.

On return from leave:
1. My lovely boss had been seconded to another role and a total $^$#^&$ put in her place.
2. The boy filling my position while I was away was suspected of having fingers in the till.
3. Nice part-timer in court with ex over custody
4. Other part-timer making mistakes due to the distraction of having her 89 year old father in hospital.
5. The restaurant booked for the Christmas do burnt down.
6. Co-worker (my mentor) sacked for big $$$ of fraud and discovered to be lying about own cancer problems.

How long was I away?

10 days

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.130.---)
Date: August 16, 2008 05:57PM

Never leave your country, or the place might join Atlantis!

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: August 18, 2008 06:43PM

Wow Annie. Was the holiday at least nice?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: August 19, 2008 09:00AM

Or was all memory immediately submerged by the tide of awfulness that followed?

Posted by: annie (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 19, 2008 11:57AM

Actually the holidays were the stay at home and clean out mum's closet kind.
So in a way the all that horrible work stuff submerged the grieving for mum stuff.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: August 20, 2008 03:05AM

Now on some other thread someone was looking for plot ideas.

I think Annie has just provided half a years TV soap opera.

A bloke in Oz named Bob Hudson had a similar set of experiences 'After his cat left home.' as he put it in the song.

Annie, I won't say 'Smile, it could get worse.........'

Posted by: annie (164.53.218.---)
Date: August 20, 2008 03:39AM

Well.... my 30th birthday was not picnic either, but that is another thread.

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 21, 2008 09:58AM

Hugs to annie

Ouchie b-gouchie, as my doctor used to say...

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: August 22, 2008 06:59AM

I think that the fformites in Oz and thosee who can reasonably easily get here, need to organise a 'fforum in person' so that all these hugs, chocolates, etc, can be given in person.

Any thoughts on this matter. Or is it better that we retain our relative anonimin ity?

******[anonimin ity? not editied coz I don't care right now]]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2008 07:00AM by bunyip.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: August 22, 2008 07:17AM

I think BK knows some of the others though, I have a vague recollection of her telling me once.

Date: August 22, 2008 08:36AM

You mean there's a chance that BK really IS at the centre of a broad Antipodean conspiracy on the Fforum? It must be reassuring that even when we're not speaking to her we're speaking of her.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: August 22, 2008 10:56AM

Speaking of whom?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Date: August 22, 2008 12:05PM

Margaret Thatcher. The answer is ALWAYS Margaret Thatcher, JFK or Churchill.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.