New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
UAofW vs Formerly Known as Cheshire
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2004 04:46AM

*pops head out of lurker-dom*

A random sort of curiosity question: why the change? I have both editions and honestly found UA of W a much more charming title while Formerly Known brought up bad Prince associations, of course your mileage may vary and I'm curious to know what others think.

R

Re: UAofW vs Formerly Known as Cheshire
Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: March 08, 2004 01:51PM

There is the point, which at least one other contributor has already raised in the fforum, that as Warrington has never been in Cheshire (at least in our version of Earth...) it's hard to see how a boundary change could have resulted in the Cheshire -> UAofW name-change...

Posted by: annie.leader-biblio (62.252.64.---)
Date: March 08, 2004 03:37PM

Shurely shome mishtake. Warrington was transferred to Cheshire in 1974 and is generally referred to as Warrington, Cheshire, even though it is a unitary authority.

Obviously it wasn't in Cheshire when Lewis Carroll was writing though so the original Cheshire Cat couldn't have come from Warrington and so couldn't be now the UAofW Cat.

Perhaps there is someplace on the borderlands which would have been Cheshire then and is UAofW now.

=====================================================
Some days I see the point

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: March 08, 2004 05:50PM

Correction noted, although I personally prefer to think of the assorted boundary-changes of 1974 as a bad dream rather than a part of reality...

Oh, and a "Welcome to the fforum!" for Rose.

Posted by: mebbeido (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2004 07:01PM

In which edition is he called "formally known as" I just thought he was reffered to as both, in both editions...

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2004 12:45AM

In the US version, ( I haven;t checked the UK version becasue I can;t find it) he referred to as Formerly known as.

Posted by: mebbeido (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: March 09, 2004 04:30PM

Oh, I thought in the UK version he is called simply the cheshire cat apart from in his extracts at the beginning of each chapter, in which he is called UA of W.

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2004 08:51PM

In the UK version he IS referred to as UAofW. That's one of the reasons that I buy Hardbacks and original versions becasue I CANNOT stand changes being made.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 12, 2004 04:54AM

"Formerly known" makes more sense in the US edition as a reference to the performer formerly known as and now, once more, known as Prince.

The geography of U.K. is a mystery to us (U.S.) London is near Dublin, right?

Posted by: Jenny (---.wellesley.edu)
Date: March 16, 2004 07:01PM

In my US paperback version of LIAGB, the cat is UAofW. In my US hardcover version of WOLP, the cat is Formerly known as. Is there an explanation in the text that I missed?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.