New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Who is Granny Next?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 09:48PM

I know this is posted on the end of another thread, but think it leads into a whole new discussion so I have started this new one here as well.
Luf Spyder~~~*

I've thought from my first reading that Granny Next is Thursday. Whether she's actually from the future or not I'm not sure. I think she may just appear older like Snood - remember him? Thursday's ex-boyfriend who split up with her cos he'd grown too old too quickly? He got shot in the street by Hades.

Also at Thursday's wedding, the Chronoguard turn up looking for Thursday's father and a young man speaks to Thursday, mentioning her son. I think it is obvious that this is her son, probably from the future. But.... do I even dare to mention this....????

What if this young chronoguard, Thursday's son, is actually her father too??? In effect he's there lookinh for himself!!! So in the future when her son fathers Thursday, this would mean she really is her own grandmother and so Thursday would become Granny Next....

Madness. Absolute madness. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Oh, I haven't read Something Rotten yet, so please, if this has been revealed already, please no spoilers, okay???

Re: Who is Granny Next?
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: January 17, 2005 03:58AM

You should read Something Rotten at the first opportunity. It will answer some questions and pose a lot more. And welcome to the fforum!

Posted by: taryn (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 10:53PM

I think the chronoguard at thursdays wedding was her son (not giving anything away her as I just think it and don't know am half way through Something rotten)
I don't think Granny Next is thursday because that would cause a time paradox and they cannot happen!!! According to all other 'time' related fiction I have read and time related films I have seen (think back to the future, Marty cannot meet up with marty - ) it just seems to be 'the rule' and Fforde cannot keep explaining the 'mysteries of time' as 'well... the mysteries of time' with no real explanation.
Brilliant books - amazingly, got the one featuring coincidences when i was broke (middle of the month!!) in a charity shop for £1 when I was gagging for the next instalment and believing i would have to re-read some from my book shelf for the rest of the month! I had been to 4 charity shops looking for a good book and in the last one (TENOVUS) there it was on the shelf! Talk about gushingly happy when purchasing it from elderly volunteer shopkeeper!!

Posted by: taryn (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 10:54PM

I think the chronoguard at thursdays wedding was her son (not giving anything away her as I just think it and don't know am half way through Something rotten)
I don't think Granny Next is thursday because that would cause a time paradox and they cannot happen!!! According to all other 'time' related fiction I have read and time related films I have seen (think back to the future, Marty cannot meet up with marty - ) it just seems to be 'the rule' and Fforde cannot keep explaining the 'mysteries of time' as 'well... the mysteries of time' with no real explanation.
Brilliant books - amazingly, got the one featuring coincidences when i was broke (middle of the month!!) in a charity shop for £1 when I was gagging for the next instalment and believing i would have to re-read some from my book shelf for the rest of the month! I had been to 4 charity shops looking for a good book and in the last one (TENOVUS) there it was on the shelf! Talk about gushingly happy when purchasing it from elderly volunteer shopkeeper!!MuseSusan wrote:

> You should read Something Rotten at the first opportunity. It
> will answer some questions and pose a lot more. And welcome to
> the fforum!
>
>

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: May 09, 2005 12:31PM

Am I the only person who considers these books complicated enough already without having to invent extra bits?

Oh, and there's quite a wealth of time-travel fiction that allows you to meet yourself; Night Watch (Discworld) would have been a bit rubbish otherwise. I suppose it's an option for whoever writes the book what rule they use. But in any case Thursday's already talked to herself through time when the Speedster ploughed through time before she moved back to Swindon.

Posted by: MartinB (---.is.co.za)
Date: May 17, 2005 06:57PM

No.

Night Watch wouldn't have happened if you couldn't.

Good point about the Speedster too.

I think Granny Next is one of those strange old women who have been there and done everything. The epitomy of GRANNY if you like.

Any more candidates for her book list BTW?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cpe.quickclic.net)
Date: June 26, 2005 09:42PM

I love the fact that they are so complicated. Books should have layers, like onions, so you can discuss them ad infinitum. It's also a use for all the horrible books I was forced to read as part of an Honours English degree. One term I had $%&% 45 books to read. I left the bookstore in a kind of daze. A penniless daze.

>
> Any more candidates for her book list BTW?
>
Mansfield Park and The Aeneid.

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: July 29, 2005 11:09PM

Just reading through this thread and i thought I'd mention that things effecting them selves hisorically is perfectly allowable in many of the genuine bits of time travel theory i've heard about... such as the following (probably badly worded) example

Take one ordinary snooker table
At the one end connect a wormhole (which as I'm sure you know can instantaneously connect points separated in time and space) and join one end to the bottom left corner of the table and the other to the bottom right corner, a few seconds in the past.
(please note this will invalidate the warrenty of your table and tables modified in such a way are not allowabble in world ranking events)
Stand at the top of the table and roll a ball directly down the centre of the table.
Now it is allowable (and similar things do happen on a quantum level) that a ball will come out of the right pocket deflecting your ball into the left pocket, from where it will travel about a few feet to the right and a few seconds in the past, popping out of the right pocket and causing the original deflection.

What is not allowed is for a ball to fall into the left pocket, travel into the past and then stop itself falling into the left pocket.

So... i think its (theoretically) possible to become your own grandparent, but not for you to kill your parents to stop yourself being born

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: Branfish (---.cable.ubr07.azte.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 20, 2005 01:24AM

Thursday meeting herself wouldn't cause a paradox unless the older Thursday caused the younger Thursday to do something that would result in the older Thursday not causing the younger Thursday to do that thing. I think that by the time she reaches that age, Thursday is careful enough to avoid that.

"We are born alone, and we die alone. In between, how about a drink?"
~ Mr. Nutty

Posted by: Unbound Element (---.dsl.sfldmi.ameritech.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 01:44AM

If Granny Next were Thursday, it would just be a bigger loop similar to the one in TEA.
Be a good job for her if she was. I imagine it would be pretty nice to go through life with a script already worked out.

I rather like the idea that she epitomizes all grannies everywhere. Both the weak and the strong ones. Interesting how they come in those two conditions..

---
Um? Game?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.