New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
There is no "T" in Benedick
Posted by: Kay (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 13, 2004 08:37PM

There is an error in the paperback edition of WOLP I got in England in February. I am just now getting around to reading it because it made the rounds of all the other USA TN fans I know before I finally got my hands on it.

In Chapter 10 a pair from Shakespeare's "Much Ado" show up. Now,as an old Shakespeare hand and a former newspaper copy editor (do those exist anymore?) I was appalled to find that Beatrice's partner was called Benedict.

It's a common mistake, but Benedick is the way Shakespeare spelled it.

I rather suspect that anyone whose knowledge and/or research on the literary background of the work is as solid as fforde's seems to be would make such a mistake and wonder if some stupid editor did it for him.

Also, I'd like to tell him that people don't try to get into "Little Women" to keep Beth alive...it's to make Jo marry Laurie.

Re: There is no "T" in Benedick
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 14, 2004 06:42PM

I just looked in my US Proof copy of WOLP and my UK Paperback as well as the US hardcover...all 3 have it spelled with a "t". And I just checked the UK proof copy...that's a "t" too. So it was either Jasper or some over-eager copy editor over at Hodder. I'd fire off an email to Jasper so he can include it in the upgrades. email at jasperfforde.com

re "Little Women": Awww, but if Jo married Laurie, how could she end up with the Professor?? He completes her...Laurie just infuriates her in that Dave/Maddie-Moonlighting way. Sure there was romantic tension but it never would have worked! Laurie was better off with a high maintenance girl like Amy.

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 14, 2004 09:23PM

This reminds me of the Freind's episode where Joey puts that book in the freezer because Beth is dying. I think he'd bookjump in there to save her.

Posted by: me (---.easynet.co.uk)
Date: July 30, 2004 06:33PM

Hurrah!!

Glad to see someone has already pointed this out! During my enjoyable read through 'The Well of Lost Plots' I discovered "BenedicT" too and was very disappointed - also assuming it to be the editor's mistake!!

Those mys-spelin viruses, huh?!

Posted by: sirinrob (---.7-3.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: December 28, 2009 08:56PM

If you consider just the Shakespeare reference then the 't' is incorrect, but there is an opera by Berlioz based on 'Much do about Nothing' titled 'Beatrice et Benedict', so possibly Jasper is alluding to that as well

Posted by: sirinrob (---.7-3.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: December 28, 2009 09:06PM

If you consider just the Shakespeare reference then the 't' is incorrect, but there is an opera by Berlioz based on 'Much do about Nothing' titled 'Beatrice et Benedict', so possibly Jasper is alluding to that as well

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.