New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: The death
Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 08, 2003 09:34PM

:( I was upset too.

I agree with PSD's commetn about 'the greatest partners' thing. We know that Thursday has a lot to do with time travel, so it wouldn't surprise me if she does see Havisham again, maybe even if she were to change it so that Havisham didn't die somehow?

OK, maybe I just want her back...

(Mental picture of Jasper sobbing in the kitchen... nah, not gonna happen)

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: September 18, 2003 10:32AM

I was really happy to find this thread because the death of Ms. Havisham saddened me greatly. WAAAAAAAA!
Now if we should have known that she was up for the chop because she died in her book (as All American Cutie suggested in post further up) then where does that leave the theory about the characters dying in their books being irrelevant to what happens to them outside their books? Do I make sense here?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2003 11:18AM

Yup, you make sense. I guess what I meant is that we shouldn't be too shocked, especially now we know that Generics can be trained to take over the role of the deceased. Hope that make sense :)

Posted by: PrincessP (---.gln-eres.charterpipeline.net)
Date: March 14, 2004 12:42AM

I too was a bit surprised by the death since they had not earned the title of "one of the greatest partnerships..." I assume that one of these will happen:
1. Thursday goes back in the past and partners with Havisham long before she apprentices with Havisham (which could explain why Havisham seems to care for Thursday much more than I had anticipated).
2. Havisham is not REALLY dead, but will still live on during earlier parts of her book. The book world explains the funeral as being a special tradition for the "first reading".
3. One of the generics given a new start on life due to Thursday's role in WOLP develops into a first rate Miss Havisham, and they partner up.
4. Thursday writes a book that includes the race, then using technology from the new system upgrade rewrites it so that Havisham lives. However, a host of complications arise...

Posted by: jay nare (---.dhcp-156-56.indiana.edu)
Date: March 18, 2004 10:31PM

Dear ffolks,

I thought the death was kinda rushed. The chapter blurb when MH is introduced says this will be a "legendary" partnership. So how is it it only lasts six months and a handful of cases?

-- J

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 21, 2004 03:19AM

Thursday summons all the foreign language Miss Hs and gets them to help her stop Goliath tunneling into the Either Ore - the base substance of fiction.

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.187.44.35.porchlight.ca)
Date: April 19, 2004 12:14AM

a few things srping to mind:

what is to say a few months and handfull of cases does NOT qualify legendary status in Jurisfiction?
just look at how many jurisfic. members die in the course of the book, (not to mention david and catorina balfour, who die before the book begins.
and
"duties can be hazardous and might involve a painfull and prolonged death", hhmmmm perhaps i shouldn't have quoted directly form the book, let's just pretend i didn't and IF i had read the book, then that is what i would say.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.