New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: The death
Posted by: dante (---.kw.bbc.co.uk)
Date: July 07, 2003 06:47PM

AAC - if you were talking to me, i was talking about the other death in WOLP! If Rob, then all he said was someone died...

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2003 08:56PM

Sorry Dante...I forgot about A*** S**** ...I was assuming it was someone from HP... My brother, the a$$ has been trying to spoil HP for me for quite a while now so I'm a little touchy. And your post came right after Rob's HP reference. LOL SORRY <blush>

I'm so mad right now. My brother IM'd me in HUGE print last night telling me who died in HP and it was on top of my sister's IM telling me to ignore my brother's...Too late! I told him I wasn't speaking to him anymore and I almost blocked his IM's...still don't think I'll talk to him though...the sh*t!!! He did it just to make me mad. Well it worked! Sometimes I wish I were an only child!

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: July 11, 2003 05:00AM

Congratulations Jon, it's been quite some time since I've seen 'sanguinity' used in a sentence, much less to set up a pun.

(and no, while you seem to be looking for or offerring to get your coat rather often, I've yet to see it. I do hope it fits better than your trousers for the wedding.)

As to the subject of this thread (which has been mostly on topic thus far), I was rather surprised myself. I hadn't expected her to get killed off, although I can see why it happened from a narrative perspective. I just wouldn't have expected it to happen so soon, particularly given the previously qoted bit about their "historic pairing", which was in my mind as well.

Posted by: Scott Harris (64.241.28.---)
Date: July 21, 2003 04:01PM

Okay, here's a question:

When a BookWorld character dies in the context of their own book's narrative, do they need to be replaced with another Generic on every reading?

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 21, 2003 06:15PM

I would hope that in most cases, they only pretend to be dead. Otherwise you'd go through an awful lot of generics in popular tradgedies.

--------------
&quot;I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around.&quot;
--Ross Smith

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 21, 2003 06:28PM

Ah, welcome to the generic production line for 'Titus Andronicus'....

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: July 22, 2003 11:29AM

I'd assume that characters who die as a result of plotted events in their books remain "alive" in the Bookworld, and still appear in fresh readings of those books, but can't visit any "read" parts of those books (other than dreams & the like) which are set after their "deaths". Consider the role of Humpty-Dumpty in 'Caversham Heights' after this becomes 'Nursery Crime', where he has to be already "dead" before the story starts so that he will have enough free time in which to help the other Nursery Rhyme characters adjust to being in a novel. Consider also the scene in WOLP during which Thursday was being shown around a book that was under construction and somebody invoked 'Character previously thought to be dead returns' device...

Warning! Product may contain Newts!

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: July 22, 2003 12:25PM

Bertha Rochester dies in Jane Eyre, but she still was around in the book when Thursday went into it, so I guess it depends where in the book in question you are...

Maybe....

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 07:09PM

So does that mean that Miss H could actually pop up again from earlier in the book, given what Edward Rochester said about them being able to go back to earlier chapters in Jane Eyre when they were happy? Or is death outside the BookWorld actually terminal?

Another thing I wondered - if Thursday has her baby in Caversham Heights, will he be part fictional (on the dual passports principle) or wholly non?

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Date: July 22, 2003 08:23PM

Kaz - who says that Bertha dies in the 'original' version of Jane Eyre? Without Jane there to narrate it, it won't have happened to all intents and purposes. It's only with the new ending that.....

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Nicky (206.166.29.---)
Date: July 22, 2003 08:59PM

The death issue is confusing because there are 2 types of death in the Bookworld: narrative death (e.g Bertha), where the character continues to exist with each reading until the time of death; and boojum, where the character/text is essentially erased. That's why Miss H has to be replaced with a generic, whereas Bertha does not.

In the Outland, the analogous situation is death vs. eradication.

Posted by: AlisonS (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 10:41PM

V clear Nicky - thanks.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 23, 2003 08:00AM

Psd - good point. Didn't think of that one. Drat. Thought I'd actually given an intellegent answer for once.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 23, 2003 09:35AM

Okay, here's another possibly intelligent answer. Catherine dies in 'Wuthering Heights' but is still around in the Bookworld for the Rage Counselling. Ergo: a character which dies in the book must not need to be replaced by a new generic each time the story is read, but a character who dies OUTSIDE of their books original storyline is a different matter. 'Great Expectations' original storyline didn't have Miss H dying. A whole new part of the story needed to be mocked up quick-smart. So since her death was caused OUTSIDE her book, that's where the problems start.

Date: July 23, 2003 07:15PM

hmm, sounds good, but to add to it I suspect the problem was that she was taken back to the book to die of her injuries - if she'd died outside of it then they may have been able to slip a generic in. So the cause must be outside of the book's events to be terminally fatal, but the death within. Would that work?

That would also leave the 'original' Bertha non-terminal, as Jane wasn't there, and hence the narrative of the book wasn't there either, so Hades doesn't count as part of the book still, so....

PSD

==========

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: July 24, 2003 04:04AM

Am explanation from the Great Panjandrum would help about now .....

Posted by: Nicky (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: July 24, 2003 04:57AM

It is horribly confusing: death in the story, vs. death outside of the story, vs. death outside of the story with a funeral that is incorporated into the story...

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: July 24, 2003 11:48AM

I follow Thursday's dad's advice and don't think too hard about it...

Posted by: Rhea (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 24, 2003 07:59PM

... whoah. Talk about going off on a million tangents and then coming back to the original topic.

Always follow Colonel Next's advice, it gets you far.

... what was I actually going to say? I guess nothing productive, just trying to catch up after being away a -long- time.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.nas.onetel.net.uk)
Date: August 04, 2003 10:50PM

Sad, just tragic :(

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.