New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Footnoterphone Spam
Posted by: Carla (---.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: June 24, 2003 11:59PM

Wasn't it just brilliant? Pure genius I say...

What other bits made you really laugh loud?
(there must have been more for me, but can't remember and i already packed my books for the move...)

Re: Footnoterphone Spam
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2003 12:12AM

Loved the footnoterphone spam...totally cracked me up. I loved the crossed wires with the Russian ladies though...

Posted by: Carla (---.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: June 25, 2003 12:23AM

Oh yeah, that was soooo cool, even though i never really got crossed wires and i have received spam...

Posted by: Auntysassy (---.ilford.mdip.bt.net)
Date: June 25, 2003 08:40PM

Never got all the way through Anna Karenina - knew how it started and how it ended - footnote spam filled in the middle! Now I don't have to read it and get really depressed!

Once saw a TV listing for the film Anna Karenina in the Independent as follows:

"Channel 4, 1.15pm film - Anna Karenina.
Vivien Leigh goes trainspotting."

Howled laughing and still raises a smile to think of it!

Posted by: Andrea (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 26, 2003 08:58PM

Much of it would have made me laugh out loud if I had an out loud, I did a lot of sniggering though <g>

roll on my voice returning

---
Sylvester says.... *plock*

actually he says peep, cheep, chirrup, squalk,muttermuttergrumblegrumble, oh and now he falls off his pirch whish is followed by a sheepish peek round to see if anyone was looking and a quick scramble back up

Posted by: Andrea (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 26, 2003 08:59PM

Much of it would have made me laugh out loud if I had an out loud, I did a lot of sniggering though <g>

roll on my voice returning

---
Sylvester says.... *plock*

actually he says peep, cheep, chirrup, squalk,muttermuttergrumblegrumble, oh and now he falls off his pirch whish is followed by a sheepish peek round to see if anyone was looking and a quick scramble back up

Posted by: Jo (---.ex.ac.uk)
Date: July 07, 2003 11:18AM

I loved the spam and crossed wires - I now don't have to read Anna Karenina :) I did start reading my mother's copy, but ended up looking for some lighter reading (I found Les Miserables...)

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 08, 2003 10:53PM

I like the freeze-dried Plot Devices. Could do with a few of those myself. The current book's a bit stuck at the moment.

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: July 11, 2003 05:20AM

I loved the bits where Jasper poked fun at himself. The holesmith's mention of daffodils blooming in summer, for example, and the use of the word Nakijima to test the mispeling virus.

And I love the bit about conserving 'u's by dropping them from words ending in 'our' in a localized area--particularly since I live in the area in question.

--------------
&quot;I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around.&quot;
--Ross Smith

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2003 05:24AM

grand, wasn't it Magda?? I loved all those bits. My poor hubby suffered from lack of sleep while I read, that's for sure! I kept waking him up with my laughing.

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: July 11, 2003 05:50AM

I only disturbed my parrot, Jester who was trying to sleep. He looked particularly perplexed when I felt a sudden need to assure him that I actually preferred parrots to carrots.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 20, 2003 06:21PM

For me, the best bit (though admittedly it was hard to choose) had to be the rage management session in Wuthering Heights. I think that's got to be the funniest passage I've read in a very long time!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 06:59PM

Yes especially the last bit of it...

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Rhea (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 24, 2003 07:44PM

I had an out loud to laugh, definitely.

Drove people insane with my laughing.

And all my friends are mad because -I- ordered a copy from the UK, and they're all waiting for the US release. Maybe if they're nice I'll let them read mine.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 25, 2003 05:03AM

LOVED the RAge Councelling. Haven't read anything better in a long time

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.telia.com)
Date: August 02, 2003 09:56PM

I think the Greek hero at the Norland Park offices was one of the best moments.
And the footnoterphone spam... (I get the real ones all the time)

/Mattias
(No connection to Mathias, the horse)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.usask.ca)
Date: October 31, 2005 07:34AM

"I've already forgotten. What was it I wasn't supposed to do?"
"Sorry. I wasn't listening."

*snickers*

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: November 20, 2005 11:14PM

Shadow the Sheepdog. I was shaking with laughter and had tears rolling down my face. I'm starting to giggle just thinking about it.

Posted by: Puck (---.brmngh01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2006 09:29PM

*Suddenly, a shot rang out!*

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: Unbound Element (---.dsl.sfldmi.ameritech.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:06AM

I laughed for a very long time when I realized what some of the jokes were hinting at. Particularly the u's. I suspect the numbers are rising again, because they've been slipping back into my writing.

I have to admit that I didn't understand who the Greek warrior was. Anyone care to enlighten me? Also, what exactly is Das Kapital about?

Having just read read Much Ado, Beatrice and Benedict partiularly appealed to me.

I also enjoyed describing the crossed lines to my Mom. "There are two russian women gossiping...it's about someone named Anna."

---
Um? Game?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.