New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Footnoterphone Spam
Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 01:52AM

Which Greek warrior? I believe there were two of them: Prometheus showed up in Caversham Heights, and the guy on the phone ("What was it I wasn't supposed to do again?") appears to be Orpheus.
(Orpheus was told that he could rescue his wife Eurydice from Hades - as long as he did not look back at her until they were both out of the underworld. He might have succeeded, but the path led through a grove of pine trees where the needles on the ground muffled Eurydice's footsteps. Thinking Hades had tricked him, Orpheus turned around - only to see Eurydice led back to the underworld. Cheerful story, that.)

Das Kapital is Karl Marx's critical analysis of capitalism. You can imagine what he has to say about it.

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: February 05, 2006 06:31PM

I can't remember in which context Das Kapital came up...but two things about it are certainly distinctive: First, it is as thick as a book can get (before being broken up into three tomes. Yes, it has already two.) Second, Marx' style of writing is as pompous as a german philosopher can get. (Heiddegger nonewithstanding, but his wording is more of the ridiculous variety...)

Well, and than there is the case of his readers, who tend to understand this book as a bible. I once came across a graffitti that obviously the writer meant to state the only conceivable way to the betterment of mankind:

"Kapitalkurs als Grundlage Kritischer Theorie wiedereinsetzen!"
(Reinstate Kapital [reading] course as Base of Critical Theory!)

There is a saying that germans will first buy platform tickets before partaking in a revolution.

Posted by: Unbound Element (---.dsl.sfldmi.ameritech.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 02:14AM

Orpheus would be the one then. Particularly interesting as Thursday then refrained from giving advice that would alter the story line, as in with the spotted leopard.

Sorry, what's wrong with platform tickets?

---
Um? Game?

Date: February 07, 2006 09:05AM

Nothing, but would you need them for a revolution?

Posted by: Unbound Element (---.dsl.sfldmi.ameritech.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 01:38AM

Is this one of those non-sequitars? I think I've heard of them before...two things with no connection thrown together for no apparent good reason.
Is that what this is?

---
Um? Game?

Date: February 08, 2006 11:40AM

Sorry, I didn't expect that to be so difficult to understand.

The quote* is meant to be an ironic commentary on the assumed german predelection to ask his superiors for permission - even in the most inappropriate situations. The main thing about platform tickets** is not that you have to pay for them, but that you need expressed admittance to a train station, even if you have no intention to travel anywhere. It is ridiculous to start with, and in case of a revolution, wich should be, by definition, an overthrow of all rules, it is the quintessence of failure.

The way I used the quote was slightly different: If you need to devote yourself at least for one year to the learning of marxism, what will you be thinking in the end: revolutionary thoughts, or will you parrot your teachers?

* by Erich Mühsam, a german anarchist from the early 20th century, I believe
** No, they are not used here any more.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.