New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
the password
Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: June 30, 2003 11:02AM

was it easy to discover? did you get it straight away?

i have to admit it took me a while, i must have been blind... the night i finished the book i was drifiting off to sleep and suddently all became clear in my head... and i got it...

Re: the password
Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: June 30, 2003 03:59PM

I think I know it, just can't remember where on the site I need to input it! help!!

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: June 30, 2003 04:13PM

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: June 30, 2003 04:14PM

ta. It works too! wahay!

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: June 30, 2003 09:11PM

I got it straight away - twice. First I thought it was "as directed", when I read one of the first pages. Then I recognised the proper one when I found it!

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2003 12:15AM

I saw it as soon as I hit that spot in the book, had to run to the computer and test it. Played on the site for a few minutes then tore myself away, lest I ruined the story for myself. Glad I stopped, but felt very smug for being able to catch it. LOL

Posted by: Jo (---.ex.ac.uk)
Date: July 07, 2003 11:17AM

I got it straight away, but haven't been able to get onto the site until now (and will have to tear myself away soon - cursed optician's appointment!) At least I know I was right :)

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: July 07, 2003 06:49PM

Got it straight away, and went right through that section on the day after I'd initially read WOLP.

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: July 11, 2003 04:25AM

I didn't twig immediately, because I'd gotten into the story and forgotten to keep an eye out for it. When I finished the book and started thinking about it, I tried a few other things first (including entering "the code word" and "as directed"), then thought about it some more and got it.

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: July 11, 2003 11:49PM

As I was reading I was wondering where the password would appear.. would it be a footnote?... a chapter header?... then about 90% of the way through I realised what the password was.... well I realised where in the book it was. I then had to go back and find out what the password actually /was/.

rob

--
I shall add no more, but that a mathematician will easily percieve it is not put in such a Dress as to be taken notice of by him, there being an abundance of Words spent to make the more ordinary sort of People understand it.
John Arbruthnot, Of The Laws of Chance (1692)

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 12, 2003 12:37AM

I twigged the moment I read the code word being given in the book; not least because there seemed to be more emphasis than was needed for the story. I'd kind of forgotten about the extra stuff until I got to the right bit in the book.

Isn't Jasper lovely, giving us all these extras and challenges to play with ?

Posted by: :-) (---.claranet.co.uk)
Date: July 12, 2003 03:40PM

Ok, I've read the book and now I'm feeling really stupid! I just can't figure out what the password is, I'm sure its really obvious but I'm just not seeing it! Please help!

Date: July 12, 2003 04:15PM

Can't tell you, you're gonna have to figure it out yourself, but it's a gem of an answer. Jasper's funny.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 12, 2003 06:03PM

It's the same password Thursday is given to get into somewhere else....

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: July 12, 2003 10:25PM

Nope I'm still not getting it! I'm seriously thinking about rereading the book (probably not bad advice) and I only read it yesterday! Any less subtle hints before desperation sets in?

Date: July 12, 2003 11:39PM

those 2 hints are about as subtle as a brass band marching through a graveyard... :)

Don't get blue over it though...you'll figure it out. Just use your sparkling intellect.

Date: July 13, 2003 08:08PM

I finally got it, and guess what... I knew it all along I was just spelling it wrong! I told you I was being stupid! Anyway, thanks for all your help!

Date: July 14, 2003 10:43PM

AS the person trying to name the glowing thing in the corner said:

"It's a fire...."

(obvious now?)

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: ilovespike (---.visp.co.nz)
Date: July 15, 2003 12:08AM

Thank you guys! I was sure it was Panjandrum... GSD do I need a brain transplant or what?!

from me :)

Date: July 15, 2003 01:34AM

No worries. I figured a really dire pun would be enough to jog the memory!

PSD

==========

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.