New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Unfinished Plotlines
Posted by: Milo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 03, 2003 10:17PM

Finished it! Two unfinished plotlines sprung to mind tho'
1. Big Martin (read strand about Jasper not knowing who he is) but even so, the whole BM thing is a bit out of place, I mean, he sporadically hunts Thursday, but seems to give up later in the plot, and she never really finds out who he his, or what's going on...

2. The Minotaur - Gone into hiding (maybe for use in next book?) But you would of thought that being partially tied to the *evil* culprits, and instrumental in murder, Jurisfiction would have got it!

Have I missed anything in WOLP or does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Re: Unfinished Plotlines
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 04, 2003 06:51PM

Well, the TN books are now firmly into the 'series' category- hence the lack of massive infodumping of old news. This means that certain ends don't have to be tied up - and the advert at the back confirms the mintotaur is still at large.

BM doesn't hunt Thursday specifically - he's just one of the creatres that's stalks the midnight hour of the WOLP.

I personally prefer WOLP to the first two - Mr Ff seems to have found a higher gear and possibly realised that readers don't mind lots of half-references. I also thought it gained by being set almost entirely on one side of the divide between book- and out-worlds.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: belochka (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 04, 2003 07:07PM

"BM doesn't hunt Thursday specifically" - This might be my overworked brain throwing up nonsense.. but if Big Martin is not motivated to follow (open to interpretation if he's actually hunting?) Thursday, will we have an explanation of his timely intervention at the Pro-Cath attack in WH?

At this point I should probably add that from my first reading this has become my favourite of the three. It made me laugh a lot more and it felt more flowing. I enjoyed the textual devices, although for some reason the bits of parallel reading in the later chapters reminded of 1982Janine (can't remember why exactly)

Post Edited (07-04-03 20:15)

Date: July 04, 2003 07:26PM

Fluke - it happens when you need to get your heroine out of a tight fix...

(To be fair, I may need to reread the book anyway)

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: fuzz (---.cable.ubr05.na.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 04, 2003 08:24PM

I was slightly suprised by Jasper's concentraition on the Book world. I was expecting a more even split like LiGB. On the other hand, TEA was mainly real world based, so in a way there's a different type of symetry.
Could be just me, I like everything to be consistant and balanced in a story. The idea of the X in Richard III, with one starting low and ending high, and vice versa (there's more about it in TEA, but I've not read RIII meself), appeals to me, it's a balance in things. The same with equal number of people being swapped between timestreams/worlds that DaveR was talking about in the Nextrillion.
To me WOLP didn't seem to have that, (mind you, I've only read it once, and quickly at that, need to do it again to get the story straight in my mind). Although, viewed as part of an arc, I suppose it makes more sense. I still enjoyed it a lot though, at least as much as the other two.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 04, 2003 10:40PM

Thursday was put into the Bookworld to serve out her "confinement" in relative safety. And as she hasn't had the baby yet, I would imagine quite a bit of her time in the next book will be spent there as well.

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: July 05, 2003 03:39PM

Re "Relative safety" _ Let's see, in the Outland she had to worry about Aornis and Goliath, as well as the professional hazards of being a SpecOps agent (until she went on maternity leave). In the Bookworld she has to worry not only about Aornis's "mindworm" (which of course couldn't be foreseen) but also forseeable threats such as Grammasites and the Vyrus (which could presumably turn a 'foetus' into a 'foetid'!), "wandering monsters" such as Big Martin, the other professional hazards of being a Jurisfiction agent (Do THEY get maternity leave?), and _ at least initially _ Miss Havisham's driving. Am I the only person here who wonders whether she might in fact have been safer staying in the Outland?

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Post Edited (07-07-03 19:34)

Date: July 05, 2003 05:21PM

The difference being that in the bookworld she at least has people on her side, whereas everyone outside is firmly stiched up by Goliath...

PSD

==========

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.