New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Someone help a clueless Yank lurker!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.215.252.64.snet.net)
Date: July 04, 2003 01:21AM

I had gleefully pre-ordered the hardcover WOLP from Amazon UK, which proclaimed a July 1st release date; now that the day has come and gone the site maintains both that the hardcover release date is July 1st and that it is unknown. They haven't shipped anything, in any event.

Is the hardcover edition out yet, then? Or shall I have to get my fix in softcover after all?

Cheers and good night all, Number Nine

ps: yes, I am aware that "clueless Yank lurker" would make an excellent name for a rock band. :)

Re: Someone help a clueless Yank lurker!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 04, 2003 05:09PM

There's a thread in Nextian Chat: Low Grumblings....something like that, that covers all that. Maybe you'll find your answer in there...

Welcome by the way!

Oh, and this WOLP fforum is for folks who have actually read WOLP, so be careful not to go read any of the other posts here or you'll have spoiled your story.

Posted by: Anonymous User (204.60.218.---)
Date: July 04, 2003 08:14PM

Thanks for the kind welcome (and the pointer)!

And don't worry - in re: spoilers, I have my fingers firmly planted in my ears and am humming presently...

Cheers, Number Nine

Posted by: Ptolemy (217.205.174.---)
Date: July 07, 2003 02:14PM

Number 9, 'Clueless Yank Lurker' already is the name of a Nextian American rock band, dating back to circa 1987. Peter (bass, vocals and vacuum cleaner), Jeanette (tambourine and dancing), Bevis (lead guitar and finger cymbals) and "Scum" (drums, percussion) did three albums for Mammoth Productions - their debut, award winning punningly titled 'Eye of the Beheader' (hard rock death speed metal), the follow-up experimental triple album 'The Inner Wardrobes of your Marmalade Mind' (drug induced progressive psychedelic rock) and, following the unfortunate death of Scum after the inhalation of vomit (needless to say, somebody else's) and the marriage of Peter and Jeanette with the newly baptised Bevis overseeing the ceremony, they denounced all that had gone before and released a gospel-rock collection on 8-track cartridge only entitled 'The Cartridge Family Sing Bible Favorites'. Unfortunately the latter album didn't go down too well with their fans and they were dropped by the Mammoth label and haven't been heard of since, though rumours have been circulating of a come-back album consisting of jazz standards for Moth Records (a smaller subsidiary of MamMoth). Watch this space.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 07, 2003 06:36PM

I'm going to trust you on this one, although I suspect that will be a mistake...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Ptolemy (217.205.174.---)
Date: July 08, 2003 10:24AM

Big mistake, PSD... sorry! It was and is all a mere pigment of my colourful imagination.

Still think Mammoth should have a toehold at least in the music business though. The two of them truly deserve one another.

Date: July 08, 2003 06:43PM

I recognised the style from my reference for whatever saint it was a few weeks ago. THis could get confusing.

BTW, doing some research today I discovered a french engineer of the C19th who rejoiced in the name 'St-Fart'

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 08, 2003 09:48PM

Are you sure he *rejoiced* in the name 'St Fart ?' Still, if he was French, it probably wasn't so funny.

Date: July 08, 2003 10:02PM

Never is, somehow. I kind of hoped he'd designed something other than roof tiles (I kid you not - in those days you could become famous for it). The St-Fart release valve sounds like a good idea.

PSD

==========

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.