New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
I found a plothole...
Posted by: Laura (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: August 04, 2003 01:52PM

At the very bottom of page 200 the vet says, "If you're exchanging golliwogs for teddy bears, you're in the wrong book," Thursday responds by saying, "This isn't Noddy." As a fan of Noddy books I have the entire collection (Yes, every single book) and teddy bears have always been there, golliwogs were switched to monkeys! That's why you never saw Martha the monkey or Monkey Town. It used to be golliwogs and Golliwog Town. I looked in the WOLP book upgrade and this wasn't mentioned so I'm assuming it wasn't spotted. Anyways, thought I'd let you guys know.

Re: I found a plothole...
Posted by: Nicky (206.166.29.---)
Date: August 04, 2003 02:41PM

Having not read 'Noddy' in years, I was unaware that the gollywogs were switched. Was that a PC thing? Anyway, since 'Shadow' has been out of print since the 1950s, one wouldn't expect the characters to know about the golliwog switch.

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 04, 2003 03:22PM

We know from LIAGB that it's sometimes possible for booksplorers to travel directly between different books by the same author, without going via the Great Library: Maybe there's some degree of contact (& maybe even trade?)along those lines between the world of 'Shadow' and 'Toytown', so that the former setting's residents have been able to keep up to date with the ("PC"-inspired) changes in the latter one? (Admittedly this doesn't solve the teddy bears/monkeys discrepancy, but it would explain how the gollywogs having been replaced was known about...)

"God rot Botchkamos Istochnik!"

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: August 05, 2003 01:46AM

Myabe Jasper doesn't like teddy bears and wishes they were the ones exchanged for monkeys.

Post Edited (08-05-03 02:50)

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 08, 2003 09:35PM

Or maybe this is another case of books in Thursday's world being subtley different to those in ours? Perhaps Thursday will be visitng Noddy at some point in the future to change it to what we read here and now?

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: August 12, 2003 04:09AM

Check out the update page for WOLP.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 13, 2003 10:17PM

This isn't a plothole, more of a technical blooper. When Thursday's deciding which book to stay in, she considers 'Pride and Prejudice', but disregards it because "I wasn't wild about high collars, bonnets and corsets". We know Thursday isn't keen on fashion and she clearly knows little about historical fashions, because corsets weren't worn in Jane Austen's time.

The style was more natural and flowing, with light dresses and the 'waistline' moved high under the bust. The look was inspired by the classical antiquities that were being brought back from Greece and Rome by wealthy people doing the Grand Tour.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.