New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Who killed Godot?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: August 14, 2003 09:01AM

My theory is that Alfred Garcia (the plot device supplier for Snell) killed Godot in order to obatin a head that would be slightly familiar to Snell, so it would intrigue him, so he would be willing to pay way too much for it!
My only assumptions are that Garcia is evil and Snell didn't know Godot very well.

I noticed that Godot is mentioned in the blurp on the back of the book. I find this amusing because of his minor role in the story. I really didn't need to explain that, did I? I'm too lazy to reach all the way over to the delete key, so I'll just leave it in there.
Post any alternative theories you might have!

-dodkot

Re: Who killed Godot?
Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 14, 2003 12:03PM

dodkot _
I'm not sure whether that possibility would be significant enough to the multi-volume storyline as a whole for it to be what Jasper had in mind (if he did intend to go anywhere with the consequences...) but it certainly looks very plausible to me.

"God rot Botchkamos Istochnik!"

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 21, 2003 05:22PM

I assume that it will be a plot device later on.

You can always spot a plot device, it's sort of *shinier* than everything else.

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Date: August 21, 2003 06:16PM

Janet and Daniel?

Posted by: Auntysassy (---.webport.bt.net)
Date: August 22, 2003 08:59PM

I just liked the fact that it was Alfred Garcia who supplied the head - everytime I think of it I hear Graham Garden of ISIHAC using the book title in any conceivable way in the 'Film Club' round.

Very clever!

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 24, 2003 12:49PM

Janet Frasier and Daniel Jackson, from Stargate SG-1. Actually the lines are from my 'Sleeping Beauty SG-1 Style' parody fanfic.

Which you can find on my website, if you're interested. The whole story is sort of along those lines.

[www.geocities.com]

As in silly, not as in all being about a plot device. Obviously.

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: August 26, 2003 11:23AM

Ah, I see... Thanks for the explanation. (Remember that it's been years since I had regular access to a television, so that references to characters from relatively recent programmes are very likely to slip by me...)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.LSANCA54.covad.net)
Date: August 31, 2003 08:21PM

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but in the play, don't they sort of wait for Godot the whole time and he never shows up? The fact that they mention him and he never shows up would seem to be in line with that. And there do seem to be enough open threads of plot, including who killed Godot, to fill up the next book quite nicely.

Posted by: Peter Birchwood (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: September 09, 2003 06:51PM

I seem to remember in the dim, distant past a movie: "Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia"

Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: September 10, 2003 10:15AM

Hence my remark re Graham Garden in the film club rounds of ISIHAC.

Welcom Peter, BTW!

Posted by: Peter Birchwood (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: September 10, 2003 04:18PM

Thanks. And please welcome to the House-sellers ball notorious Irish Supreme Evil Being Orc Sean Lott, his wife Mona and their children Lotts 73 through to 108.

Posted by: Perstephanie (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: September 24, 2003 05:19PM

Perhaps Godot was just another clever bit slipped in by Jasper. All the time I read it, the idea of waiting for Godot sounded vaguely familiar. It wasn't until someone mentioned it in the forum that I realized it was a piece of literary work. And about Snell recognizing Godot's head--because Godot was another JurisFiction agent, wouldn't Snell be appalled and concerned that Godot's head was in a bag? I think perhaps Tweed switched the heads (although why he would keep Godot's head is beyond me), just to have something else to pin on Thursday. The 'proof' so to speak.
It just came to me!! the head was written into the back by Text Grand Central so the proof would be there. . . ahhhhh, i get it. Think it's a feasible explanation?
sas

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: September 24, 2003 06:59PM

<wracks brain trying to remember if Snell actually ever looked closely (or at all) at the head, or just bought it as a pig in a poke, so to speak>

Date: September 24, 2003 07:00PM

It is, it is... I wonder if that was what Jasper had in mind when he wrote that scene?

Oh, and welcome to the fforum...

Post Edited (09-24-03 20:00)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: September 24, 2003 10:40PM

thanks! I'm very excited to be part of forum, though i am not nearly as good with all the info as the rest of the members . . .
hmm . . . i can't remember if Snell actually looked in the bag, either. Wouldn't you? I think I would . . . but then Thursday never did, either. It's a mystery. :>)
steph

Posted by: simeyk (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: November 14, 2003 11:58PM

The only problem wit hthe whole Godot thing is that he never actually appears in any fiction. His name might be in the title but he is never seen in "waiting For Godot" so there would be no need for a generic to develop to play him. So how come he is able to join Jurisfiction?

Date: November 15, 2003 04:25PM

Maybe he appeared in the work named after him according to an earlier draft than the version that was eventually published, and was trained when that one still looked likely to see print?

Post Edited (11-15-03 17:27)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: November 18, 2003 07:48AM

Aye. I love seein' my topics get bumped!
Hehe, is it a good or a bad sign that three teachers walked out of the school play (because it was foul, low-class offensive and generally amusing)?
-dodkot

Posted by: Jonathan (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: November 19, 2003 09:39PM

*Everything* is in the WOLP, including back stories, subtext and all the rest of the assumptions, so Godot must have had an existence in there somewhere. As such, he'd've made a very good undercover detective for Jurisfiction, and probably did until the time came to make a good under-the-counter plot device sold in a plain brown wrapper.

Posted by: Scarfedalek (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 20, 2003 07:29PM

Snell doesn't look in the bag.Jonathan wrote:

"Either that wallpaper goes, or I do"

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.