New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Cars
Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 15, 2003 03:59PM

I've found some pictures of the 'Higham Special' that Miss Havisham was driving, which is now on display at Higham House, near Sevenoaks, in Kent: I think that the relevant edress is [www.britishmm.co.uk] .
If that isn't the right edress then the page concerned should be on the first page of options that Google gives you for this term, anyway.

Apparently Mr Parry Thomas, who bought this car from the estate of its designer Count Louis Zborowski (which was why Havisham switched to using Campbell's 'Bluebird' instead...)* died in a crash on Pendine Sands in Wales, the site of Havisham's fatal "accident" in WOLP, while trying to break a land-speed record that Campbell had set in the 'Bluebird'.

(* This raises the quesion of how Bookworld time relates to real-world time, again: Was Havisham effectively coming forwards in time to meet Thursday, from around the time of that sale which was at some point [Simon realises that he forgot to make a note about this detail...] in the late 1920s or early 1930s?)

I have not yet, however, found any pictures of a 1924 Delage-Talbot Supersport, the model of car which Jack Spratt told Thursday he used to drive: Have any of you had better luck in this respect?

"God rot Botchkamos Istochnik!"

Post Edited (08-18-03 11:33)

Re: Cars
Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 16, 2003 10:46PM

What a beautiful car...

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Re: Cars
Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: August 17, 2003 04:56AM

Okay, I'm not a car buff in any way, shape or form, but that car just doesn't lok right to me. It seems....unfinished. Like they forgot to put a few panels on the back or something. But then, I guess it doesn't matter what it looks like, as long as it goes like the clappers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.