New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Could this be the real UltraWord?
Posted by: Umeeksk (---.demon.co.uk)
Date: August 25, 2003 02:35PM

Hello there! I've found something that you all might be interested in, and my cursory search has led me to believe that no-one else has brought this up - so feel free to give me a jolly good rap on the knuckles if I'm wrong!

Anyway, here's the scoop - BBC news has an exclusive on the new version of BOOK, complete with PageGlow (TM)... a must-try book enhancement for Fforde ffans!

Fantasy becomes reality, or just an idea that looks good on paper? You decide...

Re: Could this be the real UltraWord?
Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: August 25, 2003 09:48PM

I want one! A whole library on something the size of a normal paperback! Do you get to choose which books you have on it? You could take your whole bookshelf with you where-ever you go!

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 25, 2003 10:08PM

It's a lot like a PADD on Star Trek actually. I like the way the pages turn...

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Dibs (---.glfd.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: August 25, 2003 10:24PM

Ugh, it's vile. Convenience is no substitute for the physicality of paper. A world without bookshops, espscially second hand bookshops isn't a world fit for humans. E-books wouldn't smell right. And the great thing about books is that you don't need batteries.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2003 02:03AM

amen, Dibs! I'd miss having a real book to fall asleep with. Paper is much more forgiving than hard plastic when it comes to sleeping on it! ;-)

that said, I think it would be rather nice to use if you're a commuter or fly for business a lot. That would be very convenient due to the size and weight factor.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: August 26, 2003 02:22AM

I'd still keep my books. I just want one to have where-ever I go.

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: August 26, 2003 11:37AM

Presumably you'd have to select the books that were loaded into your machine from a range offered by the device's supplier, if you weren't just limited to having one or another of their standard selections. Or might you be able to down-load individual works from the internet, by linking your new "library" to a computer that has a modem connection & leaving it open to receive the book (for however long that transmission takes...)? I suspect that, either way, anything which was currently out-of-print _ or the first books by any new authors, such as Jasper _ might not be available in that format...

"God rot Botchkamos Istochnik!"

Post Edited (08-26-03 13:33)

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 26, 2003 09:58PM

I'm with Dibs (and most others) on this one - real books (and real bookshops, be they second hand (have I mentioned Barter Books in Alnwick??) or otherwise) are *far superior...

Posted by: Dibs (---.winn.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: August 26, 2003 10:06PM

Enigma in Gipsy Hill would be a particuarly good second hand book shop Dave. Where's Alnwick?

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: August 27, 2003 09:18AM

Dave _ Yes, you have.

Dibs _ It's in Northumberland: Alnwick Castle is the "home" seat of the Dukes of Northumberland (although they also have a home in the London area, which is called Syon House), and was apparently used as the location for some scenes in one or more of the 'Harry Potter' movies.

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: August 28, 2003 12:56PM

I took a box of books up there last weekend, motley selection of random fantasy/thrillers etc.

Got £68 credit for the box. I was expecting £20. I've not stopped smiling yet.

Of course, the name of the game was to get *rid* of some books. Oops.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 30, 2003 05:08PM

Coo, nice deal. Wonder if I could talk Gary into driving up there so we could both unload some of our excess books ? Still, they probably don't need any more fantasy/sci-fi/thrillers now.

Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: September 01, 2003 10:49AM

Not really suitable for reading in the bath, is it?

Think I'll stick to the real thing.

Posted by: Rhea (---.mamkschools.org)
Date: September 10, 2003 05:31PM

I like real books. Mmmm, paper. And you can eat them if you're starving!

... well, that's what my ex-roomie says. That books are yummy as well as fun to read. ( She is strange, I admit it.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.