New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Greetings from the US
Posted by: Catherine (---.KNFT.com)
Date: September 26, 2003 08:39PM

Just finished Lost in a Good Book - amazing. Just ordered Well on amazon UK - this is the most amazing series of books! Any other americans out there as interested as I am????

Re: Greetings from the US
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2003 06:32PM

You bet there are!! At least a few of us here on the Fforum anyway...

Me, Slightcap, Magda, Nicky, and a few other regulars. Some of us were even lucky enough to go to some of the book signings when Jasper was in the US in the early Spring.

Welcome aboard by the way.

Posted by: Ed (193.130.154.---)
Date: September 30, 2003 02:18PM

hello there, citizens of America,
Glad to see that you're enjoying the books as much as I did.

Posted by: Ed (193.130.154.---)
Date: September 30, 2003 02:19PM

hello there, citizens of America,
Glad to see that you're enjoying the books as much as I did.

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: October 01, 2003 03:30PM

Hello yourself!

Posted by: Hallie Wells (---.putney.com)
Date: October 04, 2003 06:41PM

why yes, there do appear to be a few amerikanskis here... represent!!

Posted by: Tahoe Tessie (---.washoe.k12.nv.us)
Date: October 16, 2003 08:27PM

Yet another of the legions of fans across the pond. In this case, I live next to the large pond called Lake Tahoe. I'm a middle school teacher (twenty five years on the job and still sane!@()*%#@) - English, computers and choir. Eternally grateful for Amazon.uk from whence I get the goods to assuage my UK book addiction.

Posted by: Lola P. Generic (---.aig.com)
Date: October 17, 2003 07:50PM

You bet there are more US fans. I read Lost in a Good Book first, then straight back to The Eyre Affair and now I've just finished WOLP, courtesy of amazon.co.uk. By the way, their service is admirable but you can get from Swindon to Osaka in less time than it takes for amazon to deliver.

Posted by: Anonymous User (68.185.168.---)
Date: October 17, 2003 09:56PM

I'm over here too - an avid British author lover, from Douglas Adams to Terry Pratchett. I've read TEA and LIAGB, and am halfway through WOLP. With all these plugs for amazon.uk, I have to say that there are others! I bought my ~signed!!yay!~ copy at goldsborobooks.co.uk. They even accept paypal!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 29, 2003 06:59AM

After forty rockin' years the king is dead.
Every sword swinging, guitar picking rocker is headed to Lost Vegas to test their mettle.

Vegas needs a new king.
the word amerikanskis reminded me of the greatest movie ever, "Six-String Samurai"
and yes, i am aware that this is irelevent and about as pointed as something that isn't pointy. but it is important to always mention every tiny little detail, or else the poor OCD sufferers such as myself will go mad. Mad I say!

Posted by: Snarky (---.lsanca1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2003 06:34AM

American here ... in California! Love these books. By the way, did you see the pic they have of the cover that is going to be on the USA version of Well of Lost Plots? Looks awesome!

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: November 06, 2003 05:53PM

Welcome to the fforum, all of you newcomers.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: November 25, 2003 01:25AM

I'm also from America...and newER to the fforum.... and sadly probably one of the youngest too (I read the books when I was 13- hey and now I'm doing book analyzing reports on TN books for my english class)...

I have a hard time getting my friends to read books like this. One friend loves them and one has a problem with reading longer books...
Are there any other kiddies/teens out there????

Posted by: Magda (---.subnet-169.med.umich.edu)
Date: November 25, 2003 03:45PM

If they think these are long books, they obviously aren't Diana Gabaldon fans.

(Actually, her latest book is relatively short. More the length of an ordinary novel. Mind you, she thought at the time that she was writing a short story.)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: November 30, 2003 06:02AM

le Daniel, as I like to call myself (not really) is a mere 16 years of age.
I make up for this by having great wisdom (equivalent to a four year old's) and lots of knowledge (like a book of solid useless, I am).
On the 'long book' front, I like to remind poeple that the last few 'Harry Potter and the magical magicland of magic, did-I-mention-the-magic' books were 700+ pages.
Oy gevalt, why am I hyper after an especially stressful day at work?
(we had four lost kids, one right after the other and then someone found a syringe out front the building).
-dodkot

[www.exploratorium.edu]

Post Edited (11-30-03 07:04)

Posted by: Kettle of Fish (---.eburwd5.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: November 30, 2003 11:16AM

Maybe you could try the reverse psychology trick. (Although every time I try it, it has a nasty habit of backfiring.)

============================================
The inimical is often more instructive than the benign.
So between screams, try to pay attention.
============================================

Posted by: Magda (---.subnet-169.med.umich.edu)
Date: December 01, 2003 02:45PM

FWIW, length-wise, Diana's last book in her Outlander series was 992 pages, in small print. The unabridged Audio version is 56 hours, on 40 cassette tapes.

(The fact that the abridged audio version is only 9 hours long should give some idea as to how much of the story was cut)

Posted by: TracyMichele (---.resnet.ucla.edu)
Date: December 03, 2003 12:59AM

New here, but must mention that as a fellow American I was in England during the launch of WOLP, and went to a book-signing in Brighton, where there was a discussion about the popularity of the books in America. The people were all quite surprised that Americans like the books so much, and Fforde answered their questions by beginning with: "I guess that you have the misconception that I used to, that all Americans are stupid" or something like that. Then I opened my mouth with my horrid American accent, but it was all quite fun, and the fact that I was the youngest one there, so I stood out a bit. They were all quite excited by the Eyre Affair US cover as well, very fun. So hurrah for Thursday popularity in America!

Viva la vie boheme

tracy

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: December 03, 2003 07:13PM

Welcome. I was at that signing too.

Post Edited (12-03-03 20:14)

Posted by: John Adcox (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: January 09, 2004 04:56PM

Here's another American, one making good use of Amazon UK, since he won't be back to the British bookstores for another year....

John

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.