New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Mrs Bradshaw
Posted by: Jonathan (212.137.30.---)
Date: November 11, 2003 02:11PM

Warning - spoiler

Where did the concept come from of Mrs Bradshaw being what she is and really needing everyone else just to accept the Bradshaw arrangements and move on?

All I could think of was a scene in the film 'Cabaret' set in 1930s Germany, where one cabaret act had someone married to a gorilla as being symbolic of marrying a Jew, and we should all not be bigoted about it

Re: Mrs Bradshaw
Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: November 11, 2003 06:03PM

There was an old (probably pre-war) cartoon, that showed two British gentleman talking to each other in what was probably a club, whose acompanying text was along the lines of...

A: "Didn't I hear that something had happened to Carruthers?"
B: "Yes, he married an ape."
A: "A female ape, or a male one?"
B: "Oh a female one, of course, there's nothing queer about Carruthers..."

Posted by: Jonathan (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: November 23, 2003 11:40PM

I remember that joke too now - not that I'm pre-War, I'm pre-Falklands War though - but I cannot think for the life of me where I read/saw it and the Internet isn't helping either. Sounds far more likely than my suggestion.

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: November 24, 2003 01:30PM

In a 'Best of Punch' collection, maybe?

Posted by: crrbllsweetie (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 28, 2004 06:46PM

Well, in my personal opinion, it's all just a setup to stick "Ronan Empyre" and "History of Gibbons" in there-- which you will notice talks about Bradshaw. So much brilliance arises from bad puns, no?

----------------------------------------------------------------
Revolt! Revolt! No matter why or when,
It's novelty--old novelty again.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ji-net.com)
Date: March 24, 2004 08:58AM

How is it bigoted? I just read it as a twisted joke. It's great, tho!

Posted by: Hunchback (---.stthom.edu)
Date: November 16, 2008 03:51PM

In "The Book Doctor" by Esther Cohen, a woman sends a letter to the main character asking her to "doctor" her book, which is called "My Happy Marriage [to a Gorilla]." The main character makes a remark about how she's open to doctoring almost any book, but there are ones that she will reject. For instance, a woman in love with a dolphin is very original, but it's TOO original for her.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.