New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
A poll: US versions vs. UK versions?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.trentn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2004 01:53AM

I bought The Well of Lost Plots while on holiday in France at some obscure little Métro station in the foreign language section, and practically devoured the little bugger. I misplaced it and am without a copy. Naturally preferring the UK version, I'm going to order a new one off of amazon.co.uk...

But what are your preferences concerning the US versions versus the UK versions? Out of curiosity. :)

I for one enjoy the UK versions: I have a feeling that some words are changed in the US versions, much like the Harry Potter books. (Which I also order from the UK). The English humour is sometimes even lost...

Weeeelll... that's about it for now!

Re: A poll: US versions vs. UK versions?
Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: January 13, 2004 02:25AM

The only changes I've really noticed in the US editions are that because they come out later, some of the mistakes in the updates are fixed in the US edition. Oh, and in LIAGB Jasper auctioned off (for charity) the right to be the fans who get to meet Thursday and ask her a question (and get doused with dream topping). So the fans and the question are different in the two editions.

The exception is WOLP, in which the US edition has an extra chapter 34b at the end. Not vital to the plot, but amusing (I've read the proof).

Naturally, I have both editions.

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: January 13, 2004 07:11PM

I only have the UK editions... so far.

Oh.

Welcome to the fforum, milady.

Post Edited (01-13-04 20:12)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.75.56.107.Dial1.Washington1.Level3.net)
Date: March 01, 2004 11:31PM

Well, frankly I prefer the covers of the US editions, but haven't had the chance to see the Ur-text.

I've never understood WHY there need to be different editions. Some of us Yanks have read British books and managed to follow the story.

Of course we do move our lips when we read....

And make pretty pictures with crayons on the blank pages...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Greydragn

Post Edited (03-02-04 00:36)

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: March 02, 2004 01:24PM

Welcome to the fforum, Greydragn.

Logic is like Fire, a good servant but a bad master.

Posted by: mebbeido (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: March 02, 2004 08:17PM

Welcome to the fforum, personally, I prefer the UK covers, but that's just me! I don't think they should change the words for US versions, sorcerer, philosopher, I don't think you are that stupid!!

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Date: March 02, 2004 11:25PM

I prefer the UK versions of Harry Potter, but... that's 'cause it's the "unadulterated" version. Not all Americans are totally illiterate when it comes to British colloquialisms! Hm.
And "philosopher" is cooler than "sorcerer."

Posted by: FionaCat (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: March 03, 2004 12:36AM

I was at Jasper's reading/signing at Vroman's in Pasadena yesterday and he said he prefers the US versions of his books because he gets another chance to go over them.

I haven't compared the US/UK editions of WOLP yet (I did read the extra chapter last night, though -- it really is about the weather).

Date: March 03, 2004 12:52AM

I compared US/UK of WOLP from memory, and I don't think I caught much difference. It might be just me, 'cause I read the UK edition while jet-lagged and tired from partying in Paris.
I like the extra chapter. Not the best one in the book, but I like it. (The best one is, hands down, the Wuthering Heights Rage Counselling chapter)

Posted by: pedsphleb (---.hc-dhcp.uiowa.edu)
Date: March 03, 2004 11:02PM

I only have the US versions, but I don't think JF would allow too much of the text to change between UK and US printings. I think the cover art for the UK versions is much better with the dodo.

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read on the train. --Oscar Wilde
balletbookworm.blogspot.com

Posted by: swetty (---.tnt21.den4.da.uu.net)
Date: March 12, 2004 04:51PM

I have to say, as an intelligent American, that some of us are very capable of understanding British humour, colloquialisms and some of us even know where the loo is. But, that said, I doubt much has changed between the UK version and the US (except, notably, the extra chapter,) because there are definitely some jokes that are native to the kingdom (ie. where have all the u's gone?) I think the difficulties lie in being well versed in fiction, all genres, and being able to follow the references to other novels. While I think Fforde brilliant, it is his wit and knowledge of all works of fiction that amazes me. I'm hooked! Can't wait for the next book!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ji-net.com)
Date: March 24, 2004 08:53AM

What happens in chapter 34b? just curious.

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: March 24, 2004 02:06PM

It's about the weather.

Posted by: Amber (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2004 02:32AM

I have to say, I too loved the Wuthering Heights Rage Councelling session. I almost want to try and trodge through the book.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.newark-06rh15-16rt.nj.dial-access.att.net)
Date: June 06, 2004 06:07PM

I loved the "where have all the 'u's gone" joke!

Frankly, I don't think there is much of a difference at all between the two versions except for pictures. WOLP was the first American edition to have a print at the front and ads in the back.

Yes, the weather....

Posted by: Ficteeneer (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 11, 2004 10:45PM

It's just patronising to assume that Americans can't understand such concepts.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: June 15, 2004 03:11PM

Septic version of WOLP kicks seven shades of doodah out of the UK edition, IMHO. Better type-setting, pictures and the 'feel' of the paper. Nicer size to read from, too.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.uclh.nthames.nhs.uk)
Date: July 09, 2004 04:51PM

I guess the difference in the 2 versions is just a sprinkling of mispeling vyrus ;)

But, some of the references are very English. How many Americans would recognise the names of fishing areas? It doesn't detract from the book not to know that the names of the Literatec operatives are an in-joke, but it is a bonus for those who listen to Radio 4.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: July 09, 2004 04:57PM

OK, so now I need to go out and find the US version!!
Not that I'm getting obsessed or anything.. no.. honest *twitches*

I, personally, wish Authors would release the same book both sides of the Atlantic.. Phillip Pullmans "Northern Lights" (first in his Dark Materials Trilogy) becomes "The Golden Compass" in the US.. I wonder whether the alethiometer is actually reffered to as a compass in the US edition of that?

Posted by: Nicky (---.125.144.18.cityofchicago.org)
Date: July 09, 2004 05:55PM

It's called an alethiometer. Not sure why they felt the need to call it a compass in the title.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.