New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
another book by some other guy
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 17, 2004 08:48AM

I'm wondering if any of you have read any Neal Stephenson books.
He wrote 'the Diamond Age,' 'Snow Crash,' 'Zodiac,' 'Cryptonomicon' and some others. I really like his work-it bears some similarity towards Thomas Pynchon ('Gravity's Rainbow'). A friend of mine, who just finished 'the Diamond Age' asked me if I thought the schoolmistress (from the private school Nell attends with Fiona and Elizabeth) was YT from 'Snow Crash.'
The schoolmistress says that she used to be a thrasher (=skateboarder), so it's certainly plausible. If any of you have read these books, what do you think? And if you haven't, maybe you should check 'em out-they're excellant. Oooh, I started a sentance with a conjunction. Screw you, SAT II Writing test!
I didn't post this in the general discussion forum because their 20,000+ posts intimidate me.

Re: another book by some other guy
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.qc.sympatico.ca)
Date: January 17, 2004 02:56PM

Not sure why this is in the WOLP forum, but...

I've read both "Snow Crash" and "Cryptonomicon", and really liked both. "Snow Crash" was quite a while ago, so I don't remember a lot of specific details. As a Math major, having taken a number of university courses related to coding and encryption, I was quite impressed with how "Cryptonomicon" used the story to put some of the basic concepts of cryptology in very understandable terms. The story was good, too. :)

Rhys

Date: January 18, 2004 03:18AM

If you liked the writing, you should definately read "the Diamond Age" and "Zodiac." If you really liked the writing, you should read "The Big U," too. He's got a new one out, "Quicksilver," but I haven't read it yet...I just started "Infinite Jest."
As I said, this is in the WOLP forum because the general discussion forum intimidates me. Irrational? Perhaps.
Some call these crazy eyes. THAT'S DETERMINATION!

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: January 19, 2004 10:10AM

I've read 'The Big U', which I enjoyed, but think that that's all so far...

"Don't wake the sleepers."

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 21, 2004 10:21PM

I've read most of his, my favourites being Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon. Started reading Quicksilver, but it's sooo slooooow. Obviously well-researched, but a bit of plot might not go amiss.

Started reading Great Expectations (finally) instead. Now there's a cracking tale.

:-)

Date: January 22, 2004 01:38AM

But the headmistress! Dost thou thinkest she is yon Kourier?

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: February 03, 2004 10:39PM

Don't let the general discussion forum scare you. We're not that scary, honest!

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Joel (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 04, 2004 03:25AM

Mr. Fforde's books remind me often of Neal Stephenson, and Gibson of course, in that they have such wonderful ideas in them. The key difference with Fforde's work is that his stronger characterizations personalize the ideas and make them part of a whole. Well developed characters are in short supply in the cyber-fiction genre, IMHO.

I will post to the general forum if I ever have anything useful to say, I promise.

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: February 04, 2004 08:14PM

:) Cool. Though I must say that having something useful to say might be out of place in there... ;)

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Diane (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 27, 2004 12:25AM

Snowcrash was/is a seminal book. IMHO. But it has been so long since I read that I have completely internalized it....

Date: February 29, 2004 03:56AM

Oh, most definately. But I still have no idea if that headmistress from the Diamond Age is actually Y.T.

Posted by: Michael (216.100.45.---)
Date: April 01, 2004 08:28PM

Loved Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon. The others had their moments, but didn't knock me out.

A question: Somewhere I got the idea that Cryptonomicon was supposed to the the first volume of a triology. Did I make that up?

Posted by: Michael (216.100.45.---)
Date: April 01, 2004 08:28PM

Loved Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon. The others had their moments, but didn't knock me out.

A question: Somewhere I got the idea that Cryptonomicon was supposed to the the first volume of a triology. Did I make that up?

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: April 02, 2004 09:23AM

Quicksilver is part of a trilogy which precedes Cryptonomicon. I didn't like it much though, and have given up on it...

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: April 03, 2004 01:12PM

Another piece of SF that I think some of you might like is a short story about time-travel, called 'The Chronic Argonauts', which H.G. Wells wrote before his better-known work 'The Time Machine'... I think that it would fit quite well nicely into the Nextian Earth's time-line. The complete text is available online, at several of the sites that are listed when one googles for its title.

Logic is like Fire, a good servant but a bad master.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.