New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Titles with numbers?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2004 04:09AM

If the great library has 26 floors above ground for published works, and 26 sublevels for unpublished ones--on level for each letter of the alphabet--where do the numerically titled books go? Is "1984" filed under "N" for "Nineteen"? Or is there a numerical annex?

Just wondering!

Re: Titles with numbers?
Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: February 04, 2004 08:16PM

Where I work (at Virgin Megastores) we file all the numerical artists and song titles like that, yes. So 1984 would be under 'n'.

However, I was under the impression that in the great library it was the surname of the author that determined which floor the book was on, so the numerical title wouldn't be a problem.

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2004 10:17PM

that's why "Nursery Crime" is located on the 6th floor... F is for Fforde :)

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: February 05, 2004 01:55PM

And why 'Great Expectations' is on the 4th.

(Of course, AAC actually means the 6th floor down, since Nursery Crime is unpublished).

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2004 02:07PM

yeah, that's it... ;-)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: February 05, 2004 02:20PM

Oh, duh! How'd I miss that?? (grin)

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: February 05, 2004 06:02PM

Back when I had a part-time job at my local library, in my late teens, there was one book that always got left on the 'Returned Books' trolley rather than shelved by any of the staff: It was an old Regency romance that had been written "by a Lady"... I wonder how the Great Library would file that one? Would they put it under the author's real name, even though this didn't appear on the cover, or what? For that matter, how do they handle pen-names? (E.g. are the 'Alice' books filed under 'Lewis Carroll' or 'Charles Dodgson'?)

"Don't wake the sleepers."

Posted by: FionaCat (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: February 06, 2004 12:52AM

I don't know about the Great Library, but in the past, libraries filed books by the author's real name (i.e. Mark Twain was filed under Samuel Clemens) but now we file by whatever is on the title page and use an added entry for the real name.

I know this quite well because the library I work in is rather, erm, antiquated and there are lots of odd things lurking about the shelves.

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: February 06, 2004 01:21PM

Fforumites? Grammasites? ;-)

Post Edited (02-06-04 14:21)

Posted by: FionaCat (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: February 07, 2004 12:34AM

Haven't run across any of those (yet), but I did find a lizard once. He was probably eating the cockroaches and black widows ....

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: February 07, 2004 01:02AM

Surely with being able to jump from text to text, the filing system isn't as important as the links between texts.

It doesn't matter whether a book can be jumped to vis the intiioal letter, if there;sma shorter route to it, surely?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Jonathan Allen (---.bostma.adsl.bellatlantic.net)
Date: February 07, 2004 04:56PM

Text to text jumping is all fine and well, but in the real world, it is still in its infancy. A 1,024 processor thinking machine can do this with amazing speed on many terabytes of books, but alas, very few are deployed to do anything of the sort. In the real world, the filing system is the only backup, and is too often essential. My impression is that libraries all over the world now spell out any numbers (in whatever language) in order to aphabetize.

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: February 13, 2004 05:22PM

I'd say that being the literary-minded characters they are, they probably have both the author's real name and psuedenym, and have a dummy copy at one with a reference to the other.

As the the 'by a Lady' book, they Great Library would, I assume, know her real name and file it under that. After all, they know the names of the authors of the vague ideas in the Well, and I can't imagine that all authors put their names on those (I certainly don't until I've finished it!)

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: February 14, 2004 03:34PM

Good point.

Logic is like Fire, a good servant but a bad master.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.