New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jack Spratt / the Text Sea
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.trentn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2004 01:24AM

In my US hardcover copy of WOLP, I noticed that there's a colour plate of Jack Spratt and the Text Sea: the caption reads, "'Damn and blast!' yelled Jack. 'The Text Sea!'"

I was rather wondering if this was in all of the copies or if this was one of those giveaways. Thank you!

Re: Jack Spratt / the Text Sea
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 26, 2004 01:27AM

It's certainly not on my [paperback] copy.

Posted by: pedsphleb (---.hc-dhcp.uiowa.edu)
Date: February 26, 2004 02:16PM

In the US editions of both WOLP and LIAGB there is a color plate at the beginning of each book (except the grammasite in LIAGB looks like a dilapadated crow).

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read on the train. --Oscar Wilde
balletbookworm.blogspot.com

Date: February 27, 2004 01:21AM

See, I have the UK paperback version of LIAGB, so... that would explain it. Thanks! :)

Posted by: FionaCat (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: March 03, 2004 12:46AM

There are color plates in the front of my US book club paperback copy of LIAGB (which is essentially the same as the hardback, but with soft covers -- Jasper admired it at the book signing as it's the only edition of his books he hasn't got a copy of yet) and the US hardcover edition of WOLP. My TEA (also a book club edition) doesn't have a plate.

Posted by: maggy roberts (194.82.226.---)
Date: March 05, 2004 12:41PM

Glad all you guys have noticed my contributions to Jaspers fab books! Sorry you weren't madly impressed by the grammarsite though. The one I was intending to draw flew away and I was left with that damned dilapadated crow as reference instead.
Maggy

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: March 05, 2004 01:29PM

I love the grammarsite Maggy. I'm waiting for the tshirt of it, but I think I might have to buy all the others first for one to be printed... <sigh>

oh and congrats on the illustrations - you're very talented.

Post Edited (03-05-04 14:52)

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: mebbeido (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: March 05, 2004 05:47PM

I can't wait for the grammarsite t-shirt to come out, it's my fave! I like the colour drawing of the grammarsite Maggy! They're all great!

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Date: March 05, 2004 09:25PM

You've done a great job with it!! :) I'll admit, I'm not the biggest fan of the grammasite, but I *really* like Jack Spratt and the Text Sea! Great job ::applause::

Posted by: wendy (---.ypeast01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2004 08:08PM

Well...I don't have one!( humph)

Posted by: Alex (216.162.20.---)
Date: March 12, 2004 06:29PM

^_^ I've started saying "Damn and blast!" whenever something goes awry because of that illustration! Thanks for putting it in; one always wonders what the author intended for a character's appearance anyway, and it helps.

...Well, at least, I do. Maybe my imaginotransference receptors are messed up or something. ^_^

Posted by: Jay Nare (---.dhcp-129-79.indiana.edu)
Date: March 16, 2004 11:18PM

Dear Maggie,

As a calligrapher, I am always impressed when anyone can take letters and words, and combine them well with perspective illustration. So I will be studying your work carefully. Good job!

-- J

Posted by: mebbeido (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: March 18, 2004 07:00PM

Would someone be able to link a picture of the Jack Spratt thing, as I haven't seen it. Is it on your website yet Maggie?

------------

Posted by: pedsphleb (---.hc-dhcp.uiowa.edu)
Date: March 18, 2004 08:53PM

Maggy,
I LOVE the illustrations in the bestiary - the nounfish is a favorite!

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read on the train. --Oscar Wilde
balletbookworm.blogspot.com

Posted by: Rhonda (---.sli.la.charter.com)
Date: March 21, 2004 06:07AM

The UK hardcover edition of TWoLP has a black and white picture of the denizens of the bar down in the sub-basement with all the criminals--no color photo of Jack Spratt and the Text Sea.

Rhonda

Posted by: mebbeido (---.range217-43.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 03, 2004 05:33PM

I have just got my copy of the US WOLP, I really like the Jack Spratt scene!
(I also recently got the nounfish on postcard, like that too!)

------------

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: April 04, 2004 06:21PM

I don't suppose anyone could type up the extra chapter somewhere onto the fforum, or their website, for those of us who have only got the British copy?
Actually, that's probably in infringement of copyright or something. And it would take you a while, and you'd get nothing out of it except my thanks and a lawsuit from Jasper.
But, still...(looks hopeful)

----

Well, because it is submersed in a marine environment, I've always called it the Going-Under-The-Water-Safely-Device.

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: April 06, 2004 12:36AM

You could always buy the US edition from Amazon, and help put Jasper's kids through college.

Or you could try to convince Hodder to include it as a bonus chapter at the beginning of "Something Rotten".

Posted by: mebbeido (---.range217-43.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 06, 2004 11:41AM

I read it yesterday, it's quite interesting and is indeed about the weather!
Shan't be posting it though, too long, and unfair for people who haven't read it.

------------

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: April 06, 2004 09:49PM

I can't see me having too much success with Hodder, but I might eventually get around to buying it.

And I know it's unfair for people who haven't read it, mebbe. That's what I'm trying to get you to put right :-)

----

Well, because it is submersed in a marine environment, I've always called it the Going-Under-The-Water-Safely-Device.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.