New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stupid little thing I noticed.....
Posted by: Devin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 06, 2004 11:31PM

Maybe this could be used in the upgrade of Well.

In the Eyre Affair, mentions are made to a Czar of Russia. In Well, Stalingrad is mentioned. Somebody get a holesmith!

Of course...this could always be chalked up to some time travelers doing what they shouldn't.

Re: Stupid little thing I noticed.....
Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: March 07, 2004 05:49AM

In fact, this has been pointed out and Jasper has included it on his Upgrade Page for WOLP

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: March 07, 2004 02:06PM

Ack. Stupid me! [smacks self in head] I didn't look at the UK upgrades because I thought those corrections would have been in the US edition.

Date: March 07, 2004 02:09PM

Hrm....well there is one other thing...much more subtle....

The reference of Animal Farm's Napoleon at one part (forget the page #). This would also need some changing, seeing how Animal Farm is an allegory for Communist Russia (Stalin is Napoleon, Lenin is Snowball, etc.)

Posted by: mebbeido (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 07, 2004 03:22PM

Ahhhh, I see, but it could also have something to do with sideslipping.
Anyway, just because their world is different wouldn't mean the book isn't in the Great Library, it would be, as the Library is not in Thursday's dimension, but one of it's own, as certain modern books that would be in the great library, may not have dodos, and airships, also (just a little bit more) they do know about other dimensions, where that jet engine was invented, and the Nazis never invaded England... Phew!

Post Edited (03-08-04 19:48)

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2004 12:14AM

I think the French Revisionists have been at it again, that's all!

Posted by: mebbeido (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2004 06:49PM

Yes, if there is ever some odd thing you can't explain...
A wizard did it!

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 21, 2004 03:11AM

Yes, Xena.

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Posted by: Rhonda (---.sli.la.charter.com)
Date: March 21, 2004 06:03AM

Something that's always bothered me about Thursday and Landon's relationship is that they were introduced to each other by Anton in the Crimea, but they spent a lot of time together in Swindon, doing happy-go-lucky things like the Richard III performances. When did they do this? Were they on leave? It certainly couldn't have been after Anton's death and Landon's insistence that the Charge was all Anton's fault.

Rhonda

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2004 09:37PM

we're not supposed to notice stuff like that! ;-)

It could have happened during time on leave, perhaps...dunno...that's a good one to pose to The Great Panjandrum himself.

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: March 22, 2004 05:00PM

It's also possible that the investigation/trial/inquest took some time, or took place a while after the actual charge, and they had some time at home before things came to a head, so to speak.

Posted by: blonde (---.avenel01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2004 07:00AM

is it just me but in the USA edition in the contents there is a chapter entitled "Reservoir near the church of St. Stephen" but there is no such chapter in the actual book. Page 135 is the start of the chapter and 136 is the end. Where is the chapter page or something?!?! I have yet to finish the book i am 1/2 way though but still where is the chapter?

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: July 02, 2004 07:07PM

Rhonda _
We know that they spent at least some time together on leave in Britain, because there was the cycling holiday in Wales to which Thursday returned in her memories...

Blonde _
That would have been Chapter 13... NONE of the books so far has actually contained a Chapter 13, although ones have been listed for all of them...

"Logic, Fire, Ice-cream: Pick any two."

Posted by: Chellie (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: August 15, 2004 07:30PM

I would also like to report a typo not included in the list of upgrades from the US version. On page 143 line 15 states "I laughed and went though to the gallery." Though should be Through I think. I couldn't find anywhere else to report this. Thank you.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: November 16, 2004 08:41PM

Are you serious? None of the books have included a Chapter 13?!?! Wow, I am really a lot denser than I thought. Now I have to go and look for myself!

Posted by: Tone (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: November 25, 2004 04:48PM

Yes, each book has a title for Chapter 13. But each book goes straight from Chapter 12 to Chapter 14. Something I noticed to.

I also saw 'Stalingrad' - if there is still an imperialist Russia, then there would be no despotic leader called Stalin, so no city would be named after him. I have read earlier that there are upgrades. i must find out where.

Also, regarding the US and UK versions. I thought I had the UK versions, but there are a lot of Americanisms in them: eg. elevator, flashlight (though 'torch' is also used), and no British car names in the first two books - though Allegro and Marina are mentioned in the thiird.

Tone <><

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: November 26, 2004 04:21PM

THere's a link to upgrades Up there^^^ a bit

[www.jasperfforde.com]
for the differently lazy

As for Stalingrad, if there was no growth in communism, maybe Stalin became a major servant to the tsardom, or just a chatshow celebrity and they renamed the city because of that instead. This is the Nextian world, remember........

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.