New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Character reference error
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 12, 2004 04:45AM

Having just read the first two Thursday Next books, an apparent error on page 27 of the American edition of WOLPs leaped out at me:

Thursday had wanted "to get Landen out of 'The Raven'". I'm pretty sure that should have been Jack Schitt.

However, later in the book, page 76, ..."bumper sticker. 'A unicorn isn't just for page twenty-seven, it's for eternity.'"

Think this might be one of Jason Fforde's tricks?

Make no mistake; I'm a total fan.

Re: Character reference error
Posted by: Nicky (---.swan.lon.ac.uk)
Date: March 12, 2004 09:47AM

Hi Boydo. And welcome.

I don't have a UK copy of WOLP handy (yes, I have chastised myself for this grave infraction) but Jasper usually appreciates hearing about errors if they are real so that he can put them in the Upgrades (see elsewhere on the main website). You could email him.

Posted by: tomchaps (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: April 07, 2004 08:16PM

Yes, my wife and I noticed that bloophole, too. It obviously should have been Jack Schitt, not Landen...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2004 08:38PM

Definitely email Jasper. He'll probably be working on the WOLP upgrades as soon as he puts the finishing touches on TN-4 (Something Rotten)

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: April 07, 2004 09:21PM

I doubt that the page 27 reference means anything. He was probably just after a page number that sounded good there.

----

Well, because it is submersed in a marine environment, I've always called it the Going-Under-The-Water-Safely-Device.

Date: April 07, 2004 09:27PM

Note: just checked my (U.K.) copy of WoLP, and (assuming I've got the right reference, which is on page 28 in ours, so proving the sticker has nothing to do with it) it is Jack Schitt mentioned, not Landen.

I therefore assume that his American editor forgot which was in which predicament and so changed it from the correct version to the incorrect, which Jasper then failed to pick up on.

----

Well, because it is submersed in a marine environment, I've always called it the Going-Under-The-Water-Safely-Device.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2004 12:06AM

I just checked my US copy of WOLP...page 27...sure enough! "Landen out of The Raven"

Guess the Penguin editors screwed up....

And by the way, we asked Jasper about the Unicorn...page 27 reference...he said it was random and if he'd been on the ball, he would have put a unicorn there! He said he missed a very good opportunity for a bad joke.

Posted by: mebbeido (---.range217-43.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 11, 2004 12:00PM

Actually, rechecking Boydo's post, it could very well be one of "Jason Fforde's tricks", that pesky evil-twin is always putting mistakes into Jasper's books to irritate him.

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Date: April 11, 2004 06:40PM

I think we should suggest that explanation to Jasper as an excuse for Something Rotten's upgrade page.

----

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.