New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Austen-TN tie in
Posted by: pedsphleb (---.hc-dhcp.uiowa.edu)
Date: March 18, 2004 09:17PM

I was watching Emma Thompson's film of "Sense and Sensibility" the other night and noticed that Col. Brandon invites the Dashwoods to picnic at Delaford on "Thursday next." I couldn't remember if those exact words were in the original text of S&S and am having trouble finding the right chapter. Anyone else know/remember?

Its an interesting coincidence, since the Jurisfiction offices are housed in the ballroom at Norland.

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read on the train. --Oscar Wilde
balletbookworm.blogspot.com

Re: Austen-TN tie in
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2004 07:14AM

Well, "Thursday next" is a fairly common way of speaking from that time, and since I don't have the book right in front of me, I can't verify one way or another, but it certainly wouldn't be out of place for Jane Austen to have used those very words.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.