New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Wuthering Heights is great....
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ji-net.com)
Date: March 24, 2004 08:49AM

Rember the anger managment sessions in Wuthering heights? With everyone beating up on heathcliff, and the pro-caths? What BRILLIANCE! Sheer brilliance.

Re: Wuthering Heights is great....
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: June 08, 2004 04:29AM

Agree with you 100%. It was superb.

Posted by: Ficteeneer (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 11, 2004 10:43PM

Yeah, it was excellent.

"Logic merely allows you to be wrong with authority"
David Whitaker, the Wheel in Space

Posted by: Anonymous User (67.14.194.---)
Date: August 19, 2004 12:14PM

"Wuthering Heights" is one of the worst novels in the English language, so I laughed myself silly over all references to it in WOLP.

Posted by: chebrew2000 (---.jelke.rpslmc.edu)
Date: August 20, 2004 11:20AM

Yeah it was great. Heathcliffe is a cad! Rage intervention is necessary in that book! Haversham really gave it to him. Boy that felt good.

Posted by: A. Salieri (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 22, 2004 09:40PM

Personally, I rather like Wuhering Heights, but will agree that the "Rage councelling" scheme is hilarious.
Best Regards,
Antonio Salieri

Posted by: Christine (---.sasknet.sk.ca)
Date: December 10, 2004 11:42PM

Having a character such as Miss Havisham encounter Heathcliff was completely brilliant. The rage intervention scene...wow! Finally, the characters let out their direct thoughts towards Heathcliff. I especially enjoyed how the characters from Wuthering Heights maintained their "certain" characteristics. Miss Havisham is my hero!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.range217-43.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 13, 2004 05:37PM

I'm going to agree with everyone and admit to laughing out loudly several times reading the rage councelling sessions. Even more funnier after I read Wuthering Heights.

Posted by: Cathy De la Moor (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 01:15AM

Wuthering Heights is the most excellent of novels! Heathcliffe is the god of all romantic heroes! The whole anger management issue was very current & very funny. Scorn on you who pisstake of it!! You only need read the scene where Heathcliffe is consumed by grieif & begs Cathy to 'not rest in peace' but to haunt him at all oportunities to understand all consuming love! You harsh unromantic gits!! AND Miss Havisham was always a cow. Fforde can't reinvent that I'm afraid... (Please beg to differ & some will, but remember, she is as she was written by Dickens, a nasty, bitter old witch not a speed loving eccentric!)

Posted by: pip (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: April 15, 2005 12:26PM

Love Heathcliffe.... In fact, I think my love for Heathcliffe may be turning into a problem.

Posted by: MartinB (---.is.co.za)
Date: May 17, 2005 07:05PM

Hehe. Too bad he likes Cathy....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cpe.quickclic.net)
Date: June 26, 2005 09:45PM

I hated Wuthering Heights. Heathcliff(without the e) was meant to represent nature, though, wasn't he? All wild and unrestrained, like the moors.
I read it and discussed it, and will happily discuss it further, but I've never liked it.

Posted by: K Nguyen (---.latrobe.edu.au)
Date: August 17, 2005 05:52AM

Loved the novel, thought heathcliff was totally nuts and thought the counselling session was hilarious. It was reading that chapter that made me read the whole book WOLP.
I also loved the line about Titus Andronicus being a sweet romantic comedy before everyone's rage took over the play. The whole idea of Miss Havisham brandishing a gun is hilarious. Now I need to read the other books. (My library only supplied WOLP and I couldn't resist even though when I read a series I always want to read the first book and go in reading order).

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2005 02:38AM

I totally tried to read "Wuthering Heights" in the fourth grade, but colloquialism bugged me so much that I just couldn't bear to read it. I tried again in the fifth grade, and then the first sentence's inverted structure bothered me....anyways, it's *five* years after I bought the book and I've finally read it!

I can't stand any of the characters (except for Nelly, of course, who doesn't get as much attention as she deserves). They're all psycho. But the book as a whole is fine.

Posted by: Anonymous User (82.211.102.---)
Date: October 09, 2006 12:56PM

it is great. and that quote "only read by bored english students". well... pretty true.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.239.241.162.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: February 09, 2007 12:15AM

i'm so glad there are others out there who disliked Heights as much as I did.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: February 10, 2007 11:11PM

Haven't read it myself, but I did love the scene in WoLP.

Welcome, Merritt! It's a bit more active in the Nextian Chat part of the forum, so come over and introduce yourself!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.