New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
that that had had me crying
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.albyny.adelphia.net)
Date: April 01, 2004 02:16AM

Is there anyone else out there who thinks this Fford fellow needs help? I mean, really!

I just read through that had had and that that section and after wiping my nose on my sleeve, told my 5 year old, "No honey, Mommy's not crying; I"m laughing!"

Re: that that had had me crying
Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: April 01, 2004 07:41PM

Interesting way of making yourself popular on this fforum with a first post...
I don't think Jasper needs help. But then again, I've read a number of books by Robert Rankin, so it might just be comparison.

And welcome! Have a slice of grilled bus.

----

Well, because it is submersed in a marine environment, I've always called it the Going-Under-The-Water-Safely-Device.

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 05, 2004 07:23AM

No, Grisham needs help - he just can't think up any stories that don't involve a David and Goliath sawsuit.

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 11, 2004 09:51PM

Yep, I'd say he needs help. More people to take down the ideas pouring from his consciousness...

JF beats Rankin hands down. I like my nonsense to make sense.

Posted by: hannahm12 (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: May 19, 2004 02:17AM

yeah...that was really really funny. i had a bunch of my friends read it, but i think you kind of have to have read the rest to really appreciate it. but i liked it. and it was cool that it actually did make sense once you work it all out.

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: June 22, 2004 10:14AM

Sadly for me, I was expecting something along the lines of:

"The problem was that that "that that" that that fellow said should have been "that which"."

Thank GSD for punctuation

She said that that that that she she said....

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: Steve (---.cvx2-b.bir.dial.ntli.net)
Date: June 27, 2004 03:17PM

Fforde v Rankin? Not sure I could make that choise. Rankin has many more books published so has had time to write a duff n' now and again. So far Fforde is on form with each book. long ma it be so.

Steve.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.uclh.nthames.nhs.uk)
Date: July 09, 2004 04:57PM

Steve wrote:

> Fforde v Rankin?

Well, what with Celebrity Boxing back on TV for Sports Relief, and the growing popularity of book programs on TV (well at least 100 best type book programs), my money would be on Fforde for the Book Relief Celebrity Boxing contest.

Posted by: p_dustbunny (---.nas45.los-angeles2.ca.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: July 27, 2004 07:13AM

Carol - I tried to tell someone in the room with me why I was laughing so hard when I read the "had had" and "that that" bit. I just couldn't get it across, which seemed to make it somehow funnier. I too laughed to tears, and it even made me snarffle.
I sure wish I knew someone in my tiny little corner of the world who has read these books so we could laugh about it again!

Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once.

Posted by: Maggie (---.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 27, 2004 07:01PM

I followed my husband around the house making him listen to me read that past out loud...I don't think I've ever read anything funnier in my life! :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.