New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Big Martin
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 11, 2004 10:08PM

The 'Big Martin' gag running through chapter five gave me a good chuckle, but what is he? Clearly a very large cat, but Thursday seems to be making a point of being rescued by the timely intervention of big monsters (Questing Beast). Is Martin from any book at all, or a whimsy of JF?

Re: Big Martin
Posted by: annie.leader-biblio (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: April 11, 2004 10:29PM

If you look back through the old threads. you'll find one called 'Big Martin and the Lighthouse' which covers this topic. He appears to come from a shaggy dog story

=====================================================
Some days I see the point

Date: April 11, 2004 10:46PM

Ah, thank you.

*Makes mental note to read the old threads before posting a question that's been asked before.*

However... after reading the 'Big Martin and the Lighthouse' thread I now have a Lighthouse question.

If the amorphous shape that broke Aornis' hold on Thursday was TN's darkest, nastiest fear, how come our intrepid heroine wasn't scared of it in the slightest? Surely it would affect her far more than it would Aornis - after all, what some people find scary others find cute or amusing.

Or - and I'm aware I'm arguing with myself, here - I guess it was a primordal fear that lurks in the minds of everybody. Even so, it would still have scared/eaten/whatever'd Thursday as well, wouldn't it? More so, as it was her mind it was taking place in.

Instead, she almost seemed to be in control of it.

Posted by: mebbeido (---.range217-43.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 11, 2004 10:53PM

Perhaps it was because Aornis had power over Thursday's mind, so she would be "feeling the fear" not Thursday, but I wouldn't be sure!

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Posted by: annie.leader-biblio (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: April 12, 2004 09:26PM

I wouldn't suggest you read all the old threads each time you want to ask a question - take you ages and probably bring up so many new questions you forget what you wanted to ask in the first place.

As far as Thursday's greatest fear is concerned I thought that Thursday could control it in the sense that she could block it out - she actually says that she could hide it.....but Aornis is totally unprepared for it and has no defences ready. Whatever it is obviously goes straight for the person who summoned it, in this case Aornis.

Mmmm... not sure how convincing that is.

=====================================================
Some days I see the point

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: April 13, 2004 02:40PM

Convincing enough for me.

"Logic is like Fire, a good servant but a bad master."

Date: April 13, 2004 06:48PM

Aye, makes sense to me too. Cheers!

Posted by: Casey (---.190.63.187.jvl.wi.charter.com)
Date: May 28, 2004 11:31AM

I thought it was a fear that she had learned to deal with, like a child's fear of the dark. They are still scared, but they deal with it and eventually it goes away. I thought of it as some old repressed fear like that, The Boogie Man or a monster in the closet. While it was the thing she most feared in her entire life, it wasn't anything that would actually scare her now. Hades on the other hand, being surprised and defenseless, could do nothing to fight the terror off.

Whether that makes sense or not, that's how I read the situation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.