New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Things to look forward to..
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.187.44.35.porchlight.ca)
Date: April 18, 2004 11:45PM

After re-reading all 3 books this past week, I was struck by the amount of 'shining' plot devices to be used in future books.
unfortunatally I can only remember one, as I write this post. (I wonder if I have one of those mind...things?)
"The Hades Family", Thurs. states that she ends up defeating 3 of them, and with Acheron down, (and presumably Aornis will go soon), who is the third Hades she defeats? Will the family be constantly on her tail?

I am sure there are other things to come which are telegraphed in the 3 books (i.e guest at wedding=son=working WITH Lavoisere (sp?), how will that work out? and why would the young Next work with the man who eradicated his grandfather?)
anyhoo, i was going to fill this out with more pithy wittisisms and remarkable observations... but hey-ho.

Re: Things to look forward to..
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2004 05:43AM

Ya, I wondered about the Hades connection there, too. Was Jasper including Styx? But the fact that Acheron killed him in the first book kinda blows that idea. But it's still possible I guess. Depends on your point of view. And there are several more rivers in the Underworld to call upon for siblings...

and as far as Thursday's son...who knows...maybe her son is really her father and he's out for revenge against Lavoisier...you know how Jasper thinks! It could be anything! LOL

And welcome by the way!

Posted by: mebbeido (---.range81-153.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 19, 2004 04:34PM

You forgot the odd sene with the gun and the hold-up thing, when Thurs is travelling through time. When will that come about. I hope it is not in the next book (no pun intended) or the next, as that will hopefully ensure more!

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.187.8.205.porchlight.ca)
Date: April 20, 2004 01:18AM

Ah yes, precisely, the old "gun under the tyre" trick.
Another one that baffles me is croquet, (well for a start the game itself baffles me, but that isn't what i was going to talk about). To hide from Aornis, Granny Next takes Thursday into on of her own memories. In this memory Granny (or thursday, or granny AND thursday) are playing croquet, a rather important match. And are being watched by Yorrick Kaine, President-for-life Formby and Landen, with an infant. Landen and the infant wave to Thursday (and/or Granny).
Now, is the memory Grannies? if so, then is Thursday already in the memory? or does granny have a memory of Landen and an infant coming to watch granny play croquet? One obvious point is that it must be a memory from the future, and it MAY seem to indicate granny and thursday are the same person, (as supposed elsewhere in this forum).
SO, why did Granny (one presumes) Knock out Thursday with a croquet mallet?

eesh

well that is one of the many things I like about Fforde, he is capable of setting up the implausible and then explaining it away with a chuckle and a wink of an eye.

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: April 20, 2004 07:17PM

The croquet match is supposedly up for explanation in book 4...or at least, seeing what info's about on it on this site, I would be very surprised if it isn't...
AAC - I seem to remeber somewhere in one of the books there was a comment about who was the worst of the Hades - pretty obviously that's the final one Thursday is up against!
And even if not, you can work out who it'll be (or at least narrow it down to one of two possibly)...Styx is out, because killed by Acheron; one of them was the "white sheep" of the family, so they're out...leaving either three or four (can't remeber, not going to check right now) - Acheron, Aornis and one other to be defeated, plus possily an extra (in which case they'll have to be killed off by one of the family - can't have a baddie running around...)

----

Well, because it is submersed in a marine environment, I've always called it the Going-Under-The-Water-Safely-Device.

Posted by: Myriam (---.d.pppool.de)
Date: August 01, 2004 08:10AM

I'm new to this fforum, so hello to everybody.
Somewhere in one of the books (don't know which one at the moment) somebody says the worst member of the Hades family is Phlegeton, so maybe Thursday will have to defend him after having finished with Aornis. Perhaps Phlegeton seeks revenge for Aornis just like Aornis seeking revenge for Acheron?

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 02, 2004 02:52PM

And "Hello" to you, Myriam.
That idea about the Hades family does look plausible.

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: August 03, 2004 10:24AM

Right, working through TN4, so won't post spoilers. But there are more out there:

Acheron's minions. Can't remember if Hobbes got done over, and Mr Delamare isn't mentioned, but Felix8 is specifically referred to as escaping, and someone as completely deranged as that is bound to be trouble.

In TN2 they discuss that Acheron might not actually have died in Thornfield. It's not known for certain.

Damn my brain, can't think of any more, that's it for the moment.

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.