New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
treacle, mainly
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.lata222.voicenet.com)
Date: April 23, 2004 07:42PM

"What do you make a backstory out of, Mr. Grnksghty?"
"Treacle, mainly," he replied....
-- WOLP ch 5, p. 53 in US hardback

"What are tarts made of?"
"Pepper, mostly," said the cook.
"Treacle," said a sleepy voice behind her.
"Collar that Dormouse!" the Queen shrieked out....
-- Alice in Wonderland ch 11 "Who Stole the Tarts?"

Question 1. Is this the intended reference?

Question 2. Does it only mean that the Queen's stolen tarts are part of the Alice backstory? Or is something else going on?

Question 3. Are backstories mainly treacly -- thick, slow and sweet? (Treacle is called molasses in US-speak.) Do they leave out pepper?

Question 4. In Alice the cook is obsessed with pepper and the Dormouse with treacle. Does this mean backstories are made of whatever you're mostly interested in?

LarryK

Re: treacle, mainly
Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: April 24, 2004 04:20PM

H'mmm, interesting questions...

"Logic is like Fire, a good servant but a bad master."

Posted by: annie.leader-biblio (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: April 24, 2004 09:32PM

Yes, I think that probably is the reference - not necessarily that exact quotation but certainly the whole treacle thing clearly comes from 'Alice' - don't forget the treacle well.

According to my 'Annotated Alice' there actually was a 'treacle well' existing near Oxford in Carroll's time - although 'treacle' originally had a different meaning, referring to 'medicinal compounds given for snakebite, poisons and various diseases.'

I really don't know what is going on, but when I first read this I envisaged treacle being used as a sort of binding agent/filler...not just in the 'Alice' backstory but in all of them. I should think various other ingredients would be added to give different 'flavours' depending on what the backstory was.

=====================================================
Some days I see the point

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: April 24, 2004 09:43PM

I think the answers are 'yes', 'no', 'don't know' and 'maybe.' ... in no particular order.

And treacle really does come from mines.

rob

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.lata222.voicenet.com)
Date: April 24, 2004 10:54PM

> According to my 'Annotated Alice'

Hmm, yes, it does say that, doesn't it, in the Tea Party chapter.

According to the examples in the OED, uses of the old medicinal meaning peter out to a trickle in the 18th century, so by Carroll's time "treacle well" would have sounded quaint and nonsensical -- just the sort of thing he'd latch onto. Like "much of a muchness" ("muchness" being one of the things beginning with M that the Dormouse's three liddell sisters drew in/from the treacle well).

The same chapter in Annotated gives multiple answers to "Why is a raven like a writing desk?" including all the ones Thursday uses in the Swindon bar in TEA.

> I envisaged treacle being used as a sort of binding agent/filler

But treacle mainly? More filler than anything else? Hmm, now that I think of it there might be something to that: how much detail can you put in a backstory?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.