New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Ideas
Posted by: Scarfedalek (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 04, 2004 09:49PM

The last original idea is used in 1881 in Flatland, right? So what about Asimnov, sci-fi, (time travel, Phillip K Dick, the Forever War in particular), and the disutopian stuff?

Re: Ideas
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: June 08, 2004 04:33AM

It was a joke! Just to remind us of how few really creative ideas are born anymore. They all seem to be renditions on the same 6-7 themes.

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: June 09, 2004 09:03PM

I felt that he was saying that sci fi stories were largely repetitions of old plot ideas, just set against a different background. Just because I set Romeo And Juliet in New York. or on a spaceship that does not make it an original idea.

Rob

------------

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: Scarfedalek (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 11, 2004 10:43PM

And 1984 et al?

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: June 15, 2004 03:13PM

1984 is just a dystopian view of the future, and as such isn't a new idea, no matter how well written it was.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.