New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Granny Next
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: July 08, 2004 07:55PM

I have a theory that Granny Next is TN in the future.. so much of what she says adds up to this!!

She's had a husband who was eradicated (but without a re-read I can't remember whether she said he had been returned or not)

She did work for JurisFiction

And in the part in WOLP when TN is in Granny Next's memory, the croquet scene, the croquet announcer says "And I'm calling up Thursday".. But it was Granny's memory so I understand this to mean Granny Next's name is Thursday.
And when you read the blurb of Something Rotten, it adds something to this scene..

Hmmmm!!!!

Re: Granny Next
Date: July 08, 2004 07:58PM

Though.. doing some more pondering about whether Granny is called Thursday.. Granny could have just been watching the croquet match...

Hmmm's some more!!!!

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: July 12, 2004 02:24PM

There's already been some speculation about this idea in the fforum, in at least one thread, and I'm quite willing to believe it...

(Other points that support this theory are the facts that Granny Next knows a lot about Neanderthals [which fits in with the blurb for 'Something Rotten'] and that she was able to find her own way into the Bookworld to visit Thursday in Caversham Heights... and also, if I remember correctly, that the family tree elsewhere in this site gives a date of death for Thursday's grandmother [on the Next side] that was before the events of these books, which suggests that the Granny Next seen here might not really be that person.)

"Logic, Fire, Ice-cream, Chihuahuas: Pick any two."

Date: July 12, 2004 05:06PM

Thanks.. I'd not discovered the search facility when I posted this! (its such a tony little link!!)

off to find the family tree now! Thanks!

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: July 12, 2004 09:25PM

Yep, Tony's a right pain to find when you need him, eh?

I suggest finding Gary first.

----

Well, because it is submersed in a marine environment, I've always called it the Going-Under-The-Water-Safely-Device.

Posted by: Britstorychic (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: July 15, 2004 02:57PM

I've thought of that, and it would make sense, since her son is afterall, a rouge Chronoguard. She may have picked up on how to travel thus as Thursday had picked up o a bit of it when she was young before and after Dad was eradicated.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.l3.c2.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 15, 2004 04:34PM

I too have wondered about Granny Next being Thursday from the future, as Simon has posted above there is some evidence to piont towards this and it wouldn't be far from impossible in the world of Mr Fforde's creation.

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2004 09:12PM

I just looked at the family tree, and the grandmother listed is Thursday's mother, and she died in 1968. There is no information on there about her dad's family, so the theory that Granny is Thursday works out. But then, I could be wrong.

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: July 19, 2004 04:20PM

So both Thursday's son and father are rogue chronoguards (as opposed to rouge chronoguards: time travellers in make-up) Thursday and her gran have had their husbands eradicated, but Granny says "don't worry, you'll get Landen back"? Oh and where better than WOLP to gain the curse of eternal life, until books have been read? Coincidence? Give me time, & I may think of more...

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: Anonymous User (204.87.70.---)
Date: July 19, 2004 09:09PM

I thought Granny Next's first name is Tuesday? And her mother's name is Wednesday? Or am I confused?

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2004 01:37AM

I think that's Thursday's mum's mum. Not her dad's mum.

Posted by: Nicky (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: July 20, 2004 03:58AM

Actually, Tuesday Sayé Next (née When), 1888-1968, would have been her father's mum, i.e. Granny Next. Thursday's mum's maiden name is listed as unknown. And her dad is listed as the Next grandparents' unnamed son.

Post Edited (07-20-04 06:23)

Posted by: Loopy Lou (---.104.client.e-access.com.au)
Date: August 13, 2004 05:15AM

Not to mention the fact that granny next said she knew of mnemonomorphs from her past, and she knew that Aornis in the Bookworld was a mindworm, as Aornis was the first one.

Very possible. not that I'd thought of it before though.

Posted by: mgupta (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 13, 2004 09:21AM

Hi everyone!! Just discovered these books last week, of course am finishing the third one now!!!!

Now that this whole plot line is being discussed, it does make sense, considering that Thursday and Granny have long discussions throughout the book about Landen, and presumably, Granny only met Landen at the wedding!!

Posted by: Michelle (---.usyd.edu.au)
Date: September 17, 2004 03:24AM

if Granny Next is indeed Thursday, why does she say on page 279 (UK Edition) of WOLP:
"'I know, darling,' said the old woman. 'I'm your grandmother, do you remember?'"

That was the one jar for me in this theory.mgupta wrote:

Posted by: Debra (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 19, 2004 07:36PM

I just thought of this, too: In WOLP when Granny wants to make Thursday an omlette, she keeps referring to herself "I will make an omlette" and everything she says, Thursday does: Thursday makes the omlette. Coincidence or just humor?

Posted by: Andy (---.lrz-muenchen.de)
Date: October 03, 2004 03:43AM

well, is that really a problem? why could she not be her own grandmother?
:-)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 09:27PM

I've thought from my first reading that Granny Next is Thursday. Whether she's actually from the future or not I'm not sure. I think she may just appear older like Snood - remember him? Thursday's ex-boyfriend who split up with her cos he'd grown too old too quickly? He got shot in the street by Hades.

Also at Thursday's wedding, the Chronoguard turn up looking for Thursday's father and a young man speaks to Thursday, mentioning her son. I think it is obvious that this is her son, probably from the future. But.... do I even dare to mention this....????

What if this young chronoguard, Thursday's son, is actually her father too??? In effect he's there lookinh for himself!!! So in the future when her son fathers Thursday, this would mean she really is her own grandmother and so Thursday would become Granny Next....

Madness. Absolute madness. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Oh, I haven't read Something Rotten yet, so please, if this has been revealed already, please no spoilers, okay???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.