New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Chapter 13
Posted by: Amy Cummings (---.ia4.marketscore.com)
Date: July 11, 2004 10:30PM

Hi. I don't have a chapter thirteen in my paperback Hodder & Stoughton edition. It lists one in the contents. Is this something clever I am missing?

Re: Chapter 13
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.uclh.nthames.nhs.uk)
Date: July 12, 2004 10:15AM

All of the books have Chapter 13 listed, but none of them have that chapter. They might be in the deleted scenes in "Special Features", but I haven't looked yet.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: July 12, 2004 02:24PM

theres another thread somewhere about this.. Apparently (and only apparently) books never have a chapter 13.. like hotels don't have a floor 13, and streets (well, many in the UK atleast!) don't have a number 13!

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: July 12, 2004 09:26PM

Only some authors (of which Jasper is one) don't actually have a Chapter 13...Most do.

Much the same can be said of hotels and streets (in the UK and not).

----

Well, because it is submersed in a marine environment, I've always called it the Going-Under-The-Water-Safely-Device.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: November 16, 2004 08:45PM

I think the usual thing is books don't have EXACTLY 13 chapters (i.e. there is a 13th chapter, but it's not the last one). Same thing with buildings. But I am so dense and Jasper is so clever that it wasn't till reading this thread that I even realized Ch. 13 was missing from each of his books.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 09:39PM

No, Jasper never has a chapter 13.

I'm not sure about hotels or streets, but I used to work in a restaurant where they didn't have a table 13 because it's unlucky (!?).

However, Jasper claims his Chapter 13 omission is not because of superstition but just a little quirky thing he enjoys doing.

In the limited editions there were photos of the places mentioned in the Chapter 13's title. Most of these places are from nearby to where Jasper lives in Wales. These photos are also available as postcards at some signings and have become very rare. You can see all the photos on Jasper's site:-

[www.jasperfforde.com]

Regards,

Spyder~~~*

Posted by: taryn (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 11:01PM

My 14 year old son, Keanu, who was born on the 13th (Jan) wallows in the noteriety that this number brings. All superstition abhors it, (it is supposedly only lucky if it is your birthdate..) he relishes! Hence he will love this thread!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cpe.quickclic.net)
Date: June 26, 2005 09:57PM

He says in his questions that he left out 13 deliberately and might make use of it in the future. Kind of like hedging his bets, so to speak. i know this is from a while ago but I though I'd mention it for anyone just reading this out of curiosity. For more info, see the questions.

Posted by: mebbeido (---.range86-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 28, 2005 06:35PM

We don't have a number 13 in my street.

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Posted by: Auntysassy (---.range81-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 29, 2005 08:22PM

I live at number 13. Funny thing is that I didn't 'realise' until someone else commented on it.

So the question is..............is the Dodo unlucky being married to me or am I unlucky to be married to the Dodo?????

Posted by: Nicky (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2005 06:52AM

Dibsy and I got married on Friday the 13th. It was intentional.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.