New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
who is Mary?
Posted by: tieff (---.246.192.114.tisdip.tiscali.de)
Date: July 22, 2004 10:38PM

Is she DS M.Briggs (last chapter of "Lost") or DS M. Jones (first chapter of "Well"? She's not married and divorced between books, surely? And when did her Sunderland last fly - again a discrepancy between the two chapters.
If I've missed something that's already been discussed, I apaolise - I#M new to this forum.

Re: who is Mary?
Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: July 23, 2004 02:08PM

Welcome to the fforum. Here's some virtual chocolate cake {CAKE}, somebody else will probably be along with the tea quite soon.

Those are good questions...
(Thinks)
The existence of this apparent discrepancy might be due to one of the ways in which the "Bookworlds" differ intrinsically from the "Outlands": As 'Caversham Heights' was still a work-in-progress at that time it seems possible to me that its [supposed] author hadn't yet settled on either a definitive surname for Mary or a definitive date for the Sunderland's last flight, and so had still included both those names & both those dates at different places in the latest draft of its text, which would mean that both names & both dates would in fact be equally correct.

"Warning! Product may contain Newts!"

Re: who is Mary?
Posted by: tieff (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: September 13, 2004 09:13AM

Dear Simon,
sorry it's taken a while to reply - I was away for several weeks.
I'm not fully convinced by your reply, but it seems a reasonable suggestion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.