New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
mary elliot & The Scarlet Letter
Posted by: Anonymous User (67.14.194.---)
Date: August 19, 2004 12:22PM

Am I the only one who has read Jane Austen? In WOLP, the author mentions Mary Elliot from "Persuasion" being nominated as the Most Tiresome Jane Austen Character. Mary's surname was not Elliot, it was Musgrove! (She was married to Charles Musgrove throughout the entire book).

However, on a different note, I loved the extra chapter in the American version that deals mainly with American fiction. The line about having "a version of 'The Scarlet Letter' where something actually happens' was absolutely hysterical! I mentioned in another posting that I think that "Wuthering Heights" is one of the worst novels ever written in the English language. Ditto for "The Scarlet Letter".

Re: mary elliot & The Scarlet Letter
Posted by: Alyssa (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 24, 2004 03:29AM

****WOLP spoiler (sort of, and it's very mild.)

Yeah, although the I've heard both the titles tossed around as some of "the classics", I must sadly confess that I have never finished either. I lost the copy of Sacrlet Letter while I was midway through and didn't care enough to find it, and don't think I got barely a third into Wuthering Heights before I threw it across the room, wishing I could strangle Catherine. But despite my lack of WH knowledge, I enjoyed the rage-counseling session in WOLP!

Posted by: Alyssa (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 24, 2004 03:30AM

Oh, and you are dead right about Mary Elliot.

Posted by: Maureen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 27, 2004 06:42AM

I tried to read some Jane Austen, but I only got through the first 50 pages. I'm not very fond of that kind of writing, I prefer books like these. Maybe I'll try to read them again when I'm older. I am, after all, only 15... maybe after I've had some of my own personal experiences I'll enjoy the book more.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2004 09:53PM

Don't give up on Jane Austen!!! When you get older, you may gain a much greater appreciation of her writing and just how funny, scathing and witty it really is.

For instance, Elizabeth Bennet (or is that Elisabeth? I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look it up!) in Pride and Prejudice is very funny. Most of what she says is done with a great eye twinkle. She revels in baiting Darcy and others around her, especially the ones she finds somewhat lacking.

But I do agree it takes a little effort to get through that style of writing the first time. But once you "get it", it really becomes fun and engaging.

Oh and I agree about Wuthering Heights...I can't stand that one either...but the rage counseling session is a riot!

Posted by: ScarletBea (195.212.119.---)
Date: October 28, 2004 07:04AM

Is this anything to do with modern women and the way we're brought up? Catherine is terrible and needs a good shake-up!!!!!

Yeah, 'Wuthering heights' is one of the most over-rated books....
I like (in a mild way) Jane Austen though, I think she has much stronger and smarted women characters (along with the brainless ones, of course).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.