New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Had had that that
Posted by: chebrew2000 (---.jelke.rpslmc.edu)
Date: August 20, 2004 11:16AM

Fforde is hilarious. I just read the the passage about the usage of had had and that that at the Jurisfiction section meeting and I laughed bigtime!

Re: Had had that that
Posted by: IHazon303 (---.range217-42.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 07, 2004 10:14AM

He is indeed a vay farny man... He said that he puts so many different jokes in his book that there's something for everyone. Apparently in something rotten there's a joke exclusively for people in the type-setting industry.

A very accommodating author

Posted by: jezzaboogie (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 19, 2004 01:49PM

I'm trying to find a full transcript of this passage.
Anyone know where??? There is a partial transcript here - [itre.cis.upenn.edu]

But I want the full passage beginning from - "Good. Item seven. ..."

Can anyone be bothered writing it out?

Posted by: RJT (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: September 26, 2004 06:18PM

Wonderfully funny. Probably laughed equally as hard.
Try page 253(U.S.)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: May 01, 2005 04:49PM

For someone who's mothertongue is not English, this passage was quite hard - but still very funny. I was surprised, Fforde didn't get confused himself (well - who knows...)

Posted by: Andy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 03, 2005 12:36AM

'Good. Item seven. The had had and that that problem. Lady Cavendish, weren't you working on this?'
Lady Cavendish stood up and gathered her thoughts. . . . 'It's mostly an unlicensed usage problem. At the last count David Copperfield alone had had had had sixty-three times, all but ten unapproved. Pilgrim's Progress may also be a problem owing to its had had / that that ratio.'

'So what's the problem in Progress?'

'That that had that that ten times but had had had had only thrice. Increased had had usage had had to be overlooked but not if the number exceeds that that that usage.'

'Hmm,' said the Bellman. 'I thought had had had had TGC's approval for use in Dickens? What's the problem?'

'Take the first had had and that that in the book by way of example,' explained Lady Cavendish. 'You would have thought that that first had had had had good occasion to be seen as had, had you not? Had had had approval but had had had not; equally it is true to say that that that that had had approval but that that other that that had not.'

'So the problem with that other that that was that--?

'That that other--other that that had had approval.'

'Okay,' said the Bellman, whose head was in danger of falling apart like a chocolate orange, 'let me get this straight: David Copperfield, unlike Pilgrim's Progress, which had had had, had had had had. Had had had had TGC's approval?'

There was a very long pause.

'Right,' said the Bellman with a sigh.

Is that what you were looking for, jezzaboogie?

Posted by: Jude the Oscure (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 30, 2005 05:06PM

I laughed till I cried- maybe it caught me at a vulnerable moment , but anyone who can make a career out of writing passages like that has got my vote. The other highlight for me has to be the unmasking of Mrs Bradshaw on the verandah. Brilliant!

Posted by: robert (---.mit.csu.edu.au)
Date: August 31, 2005 12:50AM

The "had had" routine is clever and funny.

The straightfaced "unmasking" of Mrs. Bradshaw and its accompanying conversation is sheer split-your-sides brilliance.

Posted by: peegee (---.cable.ubr01.nail.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: September 05, 2005 03:19PM

Funny? Yes. Original? No!!

Though I am sure Jasper would not claim this is an original "piece of business", I must point out that it was a popular play on words when I were a lad at Grammar school, nearly 40 years ago. In those days, it was about Smith and Jones, who both had taken an English exam, but had disgreed on a question about past tenses. It goes, "Smith, unlike Jones who had had 'had', had had 'had had'. 'Had had' had had the examimers' approval."

(Blimey, we were such creeps at my school!)

Posted by: MartinBentley (---.is.co.za)
Date: September 05, 2005 07:07PM

Sad really....

Such humour is no longer funny....

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: September 07, 2005 12:34AM

Well, Jasper may not have been original, but he topped you easily with 11 to 10 times 'had'.

</rescue>

Posted by: MartinBentley (---.is.co.za)
Date: September 09, 2005 08:57PM

By not funny I mean that most kids in school won't see what's so funny. They won't even read it anyway....

Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: October 21, 2005 04:41AM

My very cool lit teacher gave us a similar puzzle as a punctuation exercise. Here it is without the punctuation; see if you can figure out how to punctuate it so that it makes sense:

that that is is that that is not is not that that is not is not that that is that that is is not that that is not is not that it it is

And we actually all sat there and puzzled it out! (Yes, it does make perfect sense when punctuated correctly.)

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Date: November 15, 2005 05:41AM

I'm bouncing this thread in the vain hope that someone will actually try to solve my puzzle!

Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.wfd83b.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 30, 2006 11:49PM

Easy:

That that is, is. That that is not, is not. That that is not, is not that that is. That that is, is not that that is not. Is not that it? It is.

Yay!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: December 31, 2006 08:05AM

I have seen something similar in French:

Je suis que je suis, mais je ne suis pas que je suis. Si je suis que je suis, je ne suis pas que je suis.

Bearing in mind that puns and word-play tend to be English language games, while not that complicated this amused my little brain

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: MuseSusan (69.111.191.---)
Date: December 31, 2006 09:21AM

Alright, how about this:

"Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo."

It helps if you know that Buffalo is a city in the US, and the verb "to buffalo" means to confuse.

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: January 03, 2007 09:06PM

I've been confused by this one before ;) I think the second, rather than the fourth buffalo should be capitalised, but IIRC the sentence buffalo^n is valid for all n.

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Date: January 04, 2007 02:10AM

JaneElliot: Parfaitment fait!

SkidMarks: Does that French jeu du mots depend on "suis" meaning both "am" and "to follow"?

Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: January 04, 2007 08:18AM

Yes, Puck, it does. Happy New Year!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.