New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Aornis & Lighthous
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 25, 2004 07:19PM

I know this subject has come up but I was wondering.... I thought Aornis was killed by the Glatisant, "the hell beast" Kaine conjured and it killed 3 SO agents in Lost in a Good Book. But then I read that Thursday can't conjure up a fictional beast, so it must be Big Martin that got her. But then again, this was Thursday's DREAM so she could have conjured a fictional beast that was her worst fear, a Glatisant. She certainly made it clear in LIGB that she feared it most. My money's on the the Glatisant, not Big Martin.

Re: Aornis & Lighthous
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: November 16, 2004 08:17PM

You don't know how long this has been driving me crazy! I don't remember her saying that the Glatisant was her worst fear in LIAGB, but that would make some sense, I guess. I don't think it's Big Martin--she doesn't seem to fear him any more than you would fear any killer maniac with a bunch of cat friends that want to eat you. I just know her worst fear is something so obvious that I'll be kicking myself when I find out what it is.
Maybe it's just that I keep expecting her worst fear to be something more abstract than an actual creature like the Glatisant. But now I'll go back and reread LIAGB and see if you're right.

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: November 17, 2004 03:03PM

I'm sure Aornis is still alive and well, somewhere, or at least never explicitly killed. But then, not actually being dead is a family trait.

General consensus is that the "greatest fear" is the abstract childhood terror of well, nothing in particular. That thing that keeps you awake at night beneath the bed. It could be something, but possibly its not meant to be seen.
Kinda like a horror movie where they don't show the monster: it looks a lot scarier inside your head than pictures or words could ever describe......

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: November 18, 2004 05:15AM

Yes, I definitely agree that Aornis is still alive in the Outland. It's only the mindworm that's been killed. But Granny Next did say that mnemonomorphs are much easier to defeat once you've defeated them inside your own mind.

The idea of the "greatest fear" being the monster under the bed makes a lot of sense; I just wish Jasper would come right out and confirm it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.