New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Which pun made you laugh most?
Posted by: Snosilla (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2005 12:11AM

Well, I don't know that it's really a pun, but I nearly cried with mirth at the almost word-for-word reference to the Star Wars bar scene ("He says he doesn't like you") in Chapter 5 of WOLP. As an incorrigible American Generation X-er (yes, I said it; please forgive me), I appreciate any and all references to the movies of my childhood. Mind you, as a Shakespeare nut and general all-around lit geek, I love the literary references too--but I also really appreciate Fforde's shameless fforay into pop culture reference.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.uk.logicacmg.com)
Date: September 29, 2005 04:46PM

I have to cast my vote to the "squire" as well...~s~

LG

Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: October 22, 2005 08:36PM

I'm not sure if JFf actually says it anywhere, but Houson Parke-Laine's maiden name could only have been First. That joke is just too classic to throw away.

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: Unbound Element (---.dsl.sfldmi.ameritech.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 01:54AM

I had the Parke-Laine name jokes explained to me, and I still was unable to grasp why they were so funny.
A few hours later I was turning them over while in bed when it hit me.
No, I'm not secretly Bowden.

---
Um? Game?

Posted by: Unbound Element (---.dsl.sfldmi.ameritech.net)
Date: February 11, 2006 03:46AM

I've been thinking it over, and realized some of the better puns. The SO-5 agents sent to keep an eye on Thursday, and kept mysteriously turning up dead. I missed it the first time around (Kannon and Phodder) but when Dedmen and Walken died, I realized what was happening and went back to find the names of the first set. For some reason I wasn't as taken with Lamme and Slorter, maybe because I didn't like the phrase as much as the others, thought it a bit too obvious, or wearing a bit thin; but it was still pretty dang good.

---
Um? Game?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.static.internode.on.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 12:50AM

Author: Snosilla (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: 09-29-05 01:11

Well, I don't know that it's really a pun, but I nearly cried with mirth at the almost word-for-word reference to the Star Wars bar scene ("He says he doesn't like you") in Chapter 5 of WOLP. As an incorrigible American Generation X-er (yes, I said it; please forgive me), I appreciate any and all references to the movies of my childhood. Mind you, as a Shakespeare nut and general all-around lit geek, I love the literary references too--but I also really appreciate Fforde's shameless fforay into pop culture reference.

....not to mention that the 'ovinator' REALLY uses Jedi mind trick technology (not that Mycroft can remember).

Posted by: Puck (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 09:26PM

JFf has references to everything!

(Not to mention the inevitable Monty Python's Bookshop Sketch reference that crops up whenever I try to recommend the books to someone: "Yes, it really is Fforde with two F's and an E on the end!")

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: literaryloser (---.sktn.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca)
Date: May 21, 2006 07:51AM

I'll be honest, I do not get the Landan Park-Laine thing but whatever, I don't know if these are puns but I am a huge fan of the about as easy as stapling banquo's ghost to the table line and the thing about not getting Boo Radley to come out of his change room at the bookies. Seriously though if anyone could explain the Landan thing, please.

SpecOps-27 Wordage is our business Grammar is our game.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: May 21, 2006 08:04AM

Landen Parke-Laine (and another minor character who I won't name in case you haven't read Something Rotten yet) is a reference to Monopoly-- Park Lane is one of the spots you can land on.

Welcome to the fforum, by the way! If you come on over to Nextian Chat, it's a bit more active, and they may offer you cake. You might want to be careful, though. We're all a bit mad here.

Posted by: Lymond (---.abdn.ac.uk)
Date: September 21, 2006 04:19PM

I thought all the Biggles references were quite funny, I counted three, has anybody seen anymore? (1st was direct ref to Biggles flies east, 2nd was Bradshaw hunts big game and the 3rd was Ginger Hebblethwaite at the bookies)

Posted by: robcraine (83.218.27.---)
Date: September 23, 2006 12:23AM

About the only thing I know about Biggles is that he's a pilot. So that's one set of references that would certainly go over my head.

I was going to point you at the Guide to the book... but I can't seem to locate it. Does anyone have a link?

Rob, distracted

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.gv.shawcable.net)
Date: September 28, 2006 06:50AM

Being the youngster i am and with my lacking in a classical literary education I must say that the crazy puns and obscure references have prompted me to read many of the classics i probably never would have found worthwhile with out such a enticement as understanding these FANTABULOUS books.
Puns-wise... when i caught them (such as Dedmen and Walkin) i would chorkle to myself. i did that alot actually.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.range81-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 11, 2007 12:35PM

I'd like to think I get a fair bit of the punnery. but, being 17, I don't, or so I assume.

I got Landen, of course, being a Brit, and Houson, Bilden, Millon DeFloss, and a host more.

Missed the Squire of High Potternews though (Square on... something...) and I get Ronan Empyre now.

I like Bowden Cable too.

Braxton Hicks always reminds me of Flixton Slick, from the Jennings books by A. Buckeridge, but that's almost certainly not it. :D

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 11, 2007 05:02PM

It's "square of the hypotenuse" as in the Pythagorean Theorem, and as a math geek I've been kicking myself for not catching that right away.

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: July 21, 2007 08:35PM

Braxton hicks are false contractions in pregnancy.

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: Hunchback (---.stthom.edu)
Date: November 16, 2008 03:44PM

Not a pun, but the fact that Sebastian's teddy bear talks in this book. Unless its ventriloquism? I don't think it is, though.

"I'm not taking him to Italy because I don't want him to fraternize with Italian teddy bears."

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.192.209.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: November 17, 2008 08:46AM

Hi Hunchback,

as you will see from the dates on previous posts, these forums (fora? forae?) are not very active. Most of us can be found in Nextian Chat, where chaos rules and cyber snacks are always available.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.