New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Help. Entrance exam.
Posted by: Ashley (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 01, 2005 05:22PM

Who said "when she appeared it was as though spring had finally arrived after a miserable winter"?

Help. This is killing me.

Re: Help. Entrance exam.
Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2005 11:51PM

I bet you could google it.
Besides, if it's for an entrance exam, you should answer it yourself. They're admitting you, not us.

Post Edited (01-02-05 00:53)

Jurisfiction study group
Date: January 02, 2005 09:43AM

Well, I don't think Jurisfiction would admit me even if I could answer it myself. Maybe I would ask Thursday the next time I see her. She seems to have no troubles with the exam at all heh.

I did try searching. Nothing came up. Fforde does that to us doesn't he. He would casually throw in a reference we think we should know, or that we once knew, and then we are up all night thinking about it.

But thanks anyway. If anyone out there needs help with their multiple choices, I am here to help. *wink* Good day.

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2005 12:55PM

Oops. I thought it was a REAL entrance exam. We tend to frown on doing other people's homework for them around here.

And I googled it too, just because I was curious, and couldn;t find anything either.

Extra thought: There's a Jurisfiction entrance exam? Where?

Post Edited (01-02-05 13:56)

Jurisfiction study group
Date: January 03, 2005 01:41PM

WOLP. The exam starts on page 28, Commonwealth edition. Jump forward to page 154 and you would see my question. Careful tho. Minotaur loose 5 pages away!

Posted by: Drema (207.68.85.---)
Date: February 27, 2005 12:12AM

Who said "when she appeared it was as though spring had finally arrived after a miserable winter"?

I think it's from Wodehouse, one of the "Jeeves and Wooster" stories. It sounds like something Bertie would say.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: April 08, 2005 10:30PM

I don't know, it seems too intelligent for Bertie.

Posted by: La Vita Nuova (---.hor.brad.ac.uk)
Date: April 14, 2005 09:12PM

I think it's just one of those quotes that sounds like so many others we've all heard before - the arrival of the heroine being heralded as the birth of spring is hardly original!

Posted by: jras (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 20, 2005 09:13PM

i googled it & got this page! (it was the only thing that came up)

Posted by: robert (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: September 22, 2005 12:57AM

I've checked a few literary quotation search engines and none come up with it. This might be because:

a) The book it comes from hasn't been published yet.
b) It has been published but not in an online version.
c) It's from somewhere too obscure to attract quote collectors.
d) It doesn't exist at all except in the Entrance Exam.

It's a bit of a sickly sweet cliche, and I'm not sure if anyone would want to own up to it anyway. Here's a better one that actually says the opposite while using much the same terminology:

...Looking up, she showed him quite a young face, but one whose bloom and promise were all swept away, as if the haggard winter should unnaturally kill the spring...

Dickens, The Haunted Man.

Posted by: robert (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 16, 2006 10:29AM

This question can also be cross referenced over in Nextian Chat.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: June 15, 2006 02:36PM

I'm pretty sure that quote is F. Scott Fitzgerald. If not The Great Gatsby, then one of his short stories. But my gut reaction when I read the quote was that it's from The Great Gatsby. True that it's a generic plot point, but when Gatsby sees Daisy for the first time after years of working to make hiimself worthy of her, that quote is pretty fitting.
I've tried to cross-reference the quote on a few Gatsby sites, but nothing. If anyone has a copy of the book, you could check it. All of my copies are at school (and I'm not going near that place again until August!) :)

Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 15, 2006 06:36PM

I searched through Great Gatsby (happened to have a copy handy), but I didn't find the quote. It certainly seemed like it could have been his style, especially in his descriptions of Daisy, but it could be almost any romantic literature.

Could it possibly have come from a Daphne Farquitt?

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: June 16, 2006 01:23PM

Bummer...I felt pretty confident on that one. Maybe it is just that it's one of those quotes that sounds familiar because it could fit so many different things.
Or maybe it's from one of Fitzgerald's short stories? It really does sound like his style. (I'm going to be stuck on this until I find it in something!!)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.