New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Could WOLP be inspired by Zafón?
Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: December 08, 2005 10:38PM

I wonder whether WOLP (2003), or better said, the concept of a well of lost plots, was inspired by Carlos Ruiz Zafón's The Shadow of the Wind (2001). The two books have little in common otherwise, but Zafón presents a Graveyard of Lost books, where books forgotten/ignored by nearly everybody are kept in a place that is accessible only to a few people, and also there is a little bit of trespassing between these lost books books and the outer world.

Just as plausible is the hypothesis that both authors got the idea independently and (nearly) simultaneously, as Zafón's background is like Jasper's (e.g. he worked in film industry).

Intriguing.

Delacuesta

*---

Re: Could WOLP be inspired by Zafón?
Posted by: literaryloser (---.sktn.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca)
Date: June 18, 2006 05:36AM

Those are forgotten, not unpublished, I really don't think Fforde did it on purpose I mean the guys a genius.

SpecOps-27 Wordage is our business Grammar is our game.

Re: Could WOLP be inspired by Zafón?
Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 18, 2006 02:38PM

JFf seems inspired by so many different sources, a surprising number of which he says he has actually not yet read (I'm thinking Douglas Adams specifically here).

One of my friends said something interesting about this: he said he was glad JFf hadn't read Adams, because he thought then JFf might have tried to find a style more dissimilar, and not kept that flavour that both authors have. I always thought it might have somethign to do with being British (Adams, Gaiman, Pratchet, Fforde, Python, etc.) but that could be me being over-general.

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.