New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The thrice read book....(spoiler)
Posted by: RookeeAlding (68.208.65.---)
Date: September 29, 2006 12:42AM

Anyway I know this is late, and I haven't read this particular book in a while but...

I got to thinking...

So, I can't read it three times.
I'll just stack my books open on my bookself,
or I'll rip off the covers.
or try to read it in some napster-like bookstore which "trades" Manuscripts that are just the books, hand written so that they can't be considered "real" books.
or find out that secret technique in "Fahrenheit 451" that has a way that people can remember whole books and get them to right it down for me. (or parcal books I can't remember that book to well either..and my brother took my copy!)
or hand copy every word from it in one sitting, just so I can read in more...

Of course that is a little obscessive.

of course the social structure we live in would be crazy as well...
just think of all the piarated books, or foraged books,
no way to detect plagerism. after a while wouldn't the whole world just stop reading...and then you might have a "fahrenheit 451 " on your hands.

I see why this would be a major problem...

anyway. I'm done. sorry.

*************************4044845****************

by the way...I've been convicted of Gramatical Homicide, and charged 18 years to life, so don't bother telling me about all the spelling mistakes. It's already on my record.

Re: The thrice read book....(spoiler)
Posted by: tieff (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: September 29, 2006 06:32AM

The point of the thrice-read restriction is not that YOU can read it only three times, but that only three different people can read the same copy.

Posted by: Puck (---.wless.reed.edu)
Date: October 01, 2006 03:40AM

Right, and the pages won't turn for any but the first three. Hmm... bookstores would probably have to stop letting people browse because if three people picked up a book and paged through it without buying it then no one else would be able to read it...

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: RookeeAlding (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2006 12:20AM

Even so. Irate librarans of high education and computer skills maybe able to find away to bypass it...

Ok, so I haven't read that one in some time. (I usually try to read the entire series again once a get a good idea of when the next one is coming out, that way it's fresh)

but let's say this were to happen. (the "magical" if)
surely someone could find away around it.
I would like to know who they would have to be.

*************************4044845****************

by the way...I've been convicted of Gramatical Homicide, and charged 18 years to life, so don't bother telling me about all the spelling mistakes. It's already on my record.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.