New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
I loved it, but...
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.reverse.newskies.net)
Date: October 03, 2006 08:13AM

I missed the real world. I missed Bowden, Victor, Mycroft (even though he is technically in the fiction world), Thursday's dad and Joffy (go figure). Apart from that, I am slightly deranged in my love of this book (just ask my friends when I press it on them with a crazed gleam in my eye). And I am ashamed to admit that I don't get the "Landen Park-Laine" pun *hangs head in shame and slinks away*
Can anyone explain it to me?

Re: I loved it, but...
Posted by: RookeeAlding (68.208.65.---)
Date: October 03, 2006 08:31PM

hint....every played a certain board game that last over 4 hours, has had over 100 diffrent versions?

Hint again

you probloly wanted to be the racecar.

that's all your getting from me

(don't worry I didn't get it either at first and I collect the stupid board games!)

*************************4044845****************

by the way...I've been convicted of Gramatical Homicide, and charged 18 years to life, so don't bother telling me about all the spelling mistakes. It's already on my record.

Posted by: Puck (---.dorm.reed.edu)
Date: October 04, 2006 07:01PM

The board game has different place names in the American version, which could explain the confusion. Biggie hint: Park Lane = Boardwalk. 'nuff said, I should think.

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.reverse.newskies.net)
Date: October 12, 2006 12:00PM

jeez. now i don't feel stupid at all.
thanks guys!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: October 16, 2006 01:21PM

It gets even more difficult if have never played that game at all.... *blush*

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: October 16, 2006 02:33PM

Don't worry Tamora, you have not missed much. Even though some people love it, there are a lot of us who consider being forced to play it is part of the penance for enjoying the rest of family get-togethers.

I'm confused...
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: January 18, 2008 05:00AM

I am delighted with the wit, intelligence and overall humor of this book, but...I was thrown by the numerous errors in pronoun case. I kept waiting to learn they were caused by a virus. As a matter of fact, I was sure that that final storm had had an effect on this narrative and that that would explain the problem. But no...Please tell me you'll deal with this in a subsequent book!

I'm confused...
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: January 18, 2008 05:02AM

I am delighted with the wit, intelligence and overall humor of this book, but...I was thrown by the numerous errors in pronoun case. I kept waiting to learn they were caused by a virus. As a matter of fact, I was sure that that final storm had had an effect on this narrative and that that would explain the problem. But no...Please tell me you'll deal with this in a subsequent book!

Posted by: MuseSusan (149.106.224.---)
Date: January 18, 2008 04:31PM

Hmmm…I'll have to reread it, because I don't remember noticing those errors and usually I'm pretty sensitive to them.

Welcome, by the way! We're much more active over at Nextian Chat, so come by and introduce yourself!

Posted by: Planet Cool (---.elp.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2008 02:27AM

I had the same problem as rincewind. My personal favorite is LIAGB because it seems to define the logic and "happenings" of Thursday's world better than any of the others, and had some of the most interesting events, like her near-death experience, the way Colonel Next saves the world, the mammoths, Thursday's entry into the Well of Lost Plots, the fact that there are no ducks... everything! And while I was reading WOLP it felt kind of weaker than the other ones, but after a couple of days since finishing is it suddenly dawned on me how devilishly ingenious everything was; I guess I just wasn't expecting all those little quirks (like Thursday exiting the narrative, which then turns into third-person) and ideas about classic characters. WOLP is now my second-favorite; Lost in a Good Book still reigns supreme.

----

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. -Mel Brooks

Posted by: saran321 (---.195.32.121.broad.gz.gd.dynamic.163data.com.cn)
Date: November 09, 2008 09:25AM

now i don't feel stupid at all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.