New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Big Martin
Posted by: Anonymous User (82.211.102.---)
Date: October 09, 2006 12:49PM

does anyone know who big martin is, and what literay place is he from. is he some kind of children's character from somewhere? or something from TS Eliott?
him and those cats just seem to appear in a way as if they're quoted

Re: Big Martin
Posted by: Puck (---.dorm.reed.edu)
Date: October 09, 2006 08:02PM

He's from a traditional ghost story (well, campfire type of legend anyway - not technically a ghost, but you know what I mean). Basically, a guy agrees to spend the night in a supposedly haunted house (don't they always), and the story is pretty much verbatim the dialogue that Thurs overhears in the pub: more and more cats keep showing up, each one bigger than the last, until finally the poor fellow looks at the latest enormous feline and says, "Well, if you're not Big Martin, I don't want to wait and see what is!" and takes off running. The End.

I know the story from way back (don't actually remember where I first heard it), so I was highly amused to find it quoted word for word like that!

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Re: Big Martin
Posted by: Planet Cool (---.elp.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2008 02:29AM

Wow, really? I had no idea about that. I'd never heard of Big Martin before WOLP.

...kind of like that story about the hook-handed slasher at Lover's Lane, then, huh?

----

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. -Mel Brooks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.