New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Gully Foyle in WOLP
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.chy-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 03, 2008 02:12AM

I was so delighted to see this small reference to one of my all-time favorite SF novels, a book from the 50's by Alfred Bester titled "The Stars My Destination." Gully appears during the WOLP awards meeting and offers to help Thursday with the troublemakers. He introduces himself with a variation of a piece of doggerel from the novel:

"Gully Foyle is my name,
And Terra is my station,
Deep space is my dwelling place,
And death my destination."

But the last line should read "...the stars my destination" (i.e. the title of the book. But perhaps that was too much of a give-away. It is however worth noting that "Stars.." has as its major plot premiss the development of the ability to teleport (called "jaunting" in the novel), an activity quite similar to the ability of Thursday (et al) to "jump" from novel to novel, time to time, place to place, and character to character.

Re: Gully Foyle in WOLP
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: January 03, 2008 06:48PM

Hmmm…that's one of those books I've heard of, but never read. I better pick it up!

Welcome, by the way! We're quite a bit more active over at the Nextian Chat section of the Fforum, so come on over. There may be pie!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.