New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
eligibility of Neanderthals
Posted by: gadarene (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 26, 2005 06:52PM

Hello,

This is my first post here, and I hope this isn't a question which has been asked and answered previously (I did check and didn't spot anything). So the question is regarding the rules of croquet:

rule 23f subsection (g/9) "you are ineligible to play international-standard croquet unless (you) have played the minimum of ten matches to a county standard"

This is from Something Rotten P.342 (Hodder UK)

Surely the Neanderthals are unlikely to have played county croquet?

If the lawyers tried to get them banned for being non-human then surely this would also stand as a disqualification?

I am waiting to stand corrected.

Cheers all,

G

Re: eligibility of Neanderthals
Posted by: pip (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: April 26, 2005 09:52PM

Don't have it on me right now (although have it back from english teacher :).) but don't they all play amongst themselves anyway -- these matches may be to county standard, even if not an inter-county match.

Posted by: Haylo (---.range81-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 29, 2005 09:31PM

But weren't both the teams english, making it national instead of international standard, so that rule wouldn't neccesarily reply?

Sorry, I've been away from the Fforum for a while and now that I'm on seem to feel the need to post on anything that stays still long enough...

Posted by: gadarene (---.range81-155.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 04, 2005 06:11PM

Welcome back Haylo!

Surely a rule that would apply to Thursday in the context of the match would also apply to the Neanderthals?

I also get the impression from the rest of the text regarding Neanderthals and croquet that they play brilliantly but aren't at all interested in the competitive aspect. For example:
P352 (edition as before) "Neanderthals had often been approached to play as they could run all day without tiring, but no one until now had ever managed it."

P385 (ibid) "The only Neanderthal to turn up was Stig, who understood what it meant to me, even if he couldn't truly understand the concept of individual aggrandisement." Re the "Swindon Star".

The Gloucester Meteors also try to entice them to join their team (P355, ibid again).

I would also suspect the "non-human creature" rule would have been raised before, had they played in human tournaments (knowing what lawyers are like)?

I'll stop now,

:-)

Cheers all,

G.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.